What Is Produced When Nickel-60 Captures a Neutron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the capture of a neutron by nickel-60 and the resulting production of a proton. There is confusion about the element or isotope that is created, with initial thoughts of copper-61 due to beta decay. However, it is clarified that the atomic number changes but the mass number remains the same, indicating that the correct answer is not copper-61. The conversation also brings up the possibility of an n,p reaction and further clarifies the question being asked.
panzerliger
taking a set of questions and came across this one:
"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton and what new element or isotope ? "

I thought it was copper-61 since it goes through beta decay as indicated by the proton but supposedly it is not... please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If something produces a proton via a beta decay, the atomic number changes, but the MASS number does not, since you still have the same number of nucleons. So your "61" isn't correct.

Zz.

yes, I know but it underwent neutron capture so its "61" and then transmuted to copper after beta decay so it stayed "61"... but I am wondering why that isint correct~ unless of course it isint beta decay at all that created the proton.

"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton"

Sounds like an n,p reaction in which the neutron interaction results in a proton being ejected.

So A remains 60, but Z decreases by 1.

panzerliger said:
yes, I know but it underwent neutron capture so its "61" and then transmuted to copper after beta decay so it stayed "61"... but I am wondering why that isint correct~ unless of course it isint beta decay at all that created the proton.

Oh, I read it wrong. I thought one of its neutrons underwent a beta decay.

Zz.

panzerliger said:
taking a set of questions and came across this one:
"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton and what new element or isotope ? "

I thought it was copper-61 since it goes through beta decay as indicated by the proton but supposedly it is not... please help

Is the question basically this?

[tex]
n+^{60} Ni \rightarrow p + X
[/tex]

Where you want to know what X is?

1. What is neutron capture?

Neutron capture is a nuclear reaction in which an atomic nucleus captures one or more neutrons, resulting in a new, heavier isotope of the same element.

2. How does neutron capture occur?

Neutron capture can occur spontaneously or through induced reactions, where a neutron is brought into contact with a target nucleus.

3. What is the purpose of neutron capture?

Neutron capture is used in many nuclear processes, including energy production, nuclear weapons, and medical treatments.

4. What factors influence neutron capture?

The likelihood of a neutron being captured by a nucleus is influenced by factors such as the energy of the neutron, the properties of the target nucleus, and the surrounding environment.

5. What are the potential risks of neutron capture?

Neutron capture can result in the production of radioactive isotopes, which can pose health and environmental risks if not properly managed and contained.