Do quantifiable values become less definite as they increase?

• Thread starter underworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indefinite
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of definite and indefinite values, with a focus on the value of infinity. It is argued that while values like 0 and 1 are easily quantifiable and therefore definite, values like infinity are indefinite. The question is raised whether there is a quantifiable gradient between finite and infinite values, and whether there is a conceptual difference between them. It is concluded that while there may exist systems in which infinities are considered definite, the concept of infinity itself remains indefinite.
underworld
i have a small (i think) question:

a value of zero is a definite value, right? it's easily quantifiable. you either have it or you don't. and a value of 1 is also definite.

however, a value of infinity is not definite. it's an indefinite value.

now, the question is... do quantifiable values become less definite the higher they go? in other words is 100 less definite than 1 or 0? probably not enough to matter. but what about 10E10 or 10E50 or higher values?

is there simply a line that is crossed where an infinite value becomes less definite? does the same apply to negative quantities? for example, is a quantity of -100 apples equally indefinite as a quantity of infinite apples?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by definte and indefinite, this seems much more a philosophical than mathematical quality.

well. a definite quantity would be "countable". for example, i can easily count whether i have zero apples or 1 apple or 20 apples. i would consider those values "definite".

i cannot easily count -4 apples or infinite apples. those values are not "definite". since there is no such thing as a -1 apple, then there is little difference between -1 apples and -100 apples. the same is true of infinite apples. there is little difference between infinite apples and infinite apples + 1 apple. therefore, those values are indefinite.

so the question is - is there simply a conceptual difference here? or is there a quantifiable gradient that occurs between 1 apple and infinite apples. in other words, is 10 billion apples somehow less definite than 1 apple? or is it just as definite all the way up to "infinity"?

I still say that this is not really a mathematical quality or thing at all, but my opinion would be that any finite number is just as "definite" as any other. There really is no conceptual difference because the concept is not mathematical unless you conside definite and indefinite to be finte and infinite respectively as something can only be one or the other, and infinity is not considered a number so I guess you can vaguely say that it is thusly indefinite.

I think by definite you mean a natural number

however, a value of infinity is not definite. it's an indefinite value.
The extended real numbers [itex]+\infty[/itex] and [itex]-\infty[/itex] are definite things.
Projective infinity is a definite thing.
Each infinite ordinal number is a definite thing.
Each infinite cardinal number is a definite thing.
Each infinite hyperreal is a definite thing.

But a vague, nebulous concept of infinity is an indefinite thing.

All numbers are "definite". "Infinity" is not a real number but there exist various systems, such as the extended real numbers, in which they various infinities become "definite". It is the definition that makes it "definite".

1. What is the difference between definite and indefinite?

Definite refers to something that is specific, certain, or clearly defined. Indefinite, on the other hand, refers to something that is not specific or clearly defined.

2. How do you determine if something is definite or indefinite?

Determining if something is definite or indefinite depends on the context and language used. In English, definite nouns are usually preceded by the definite article "the", while indefinite nouns are preceded by the indefinite articles "a" or "an". In other languages, there may be different markers or word order to indicate definiteness or indefiniteness.

3. Can something be both definite and indefinite?

No, something can only be one or the other. However, something can switch from being indefinite to definite or vice versa depending on the context in which it is used.

4. How does definiteness affect sentence structure?

In English, definiteness can affect the use of articles, pronouns, and word order. Definite nouns often do not require an article, while indefinite nouns do. Pronouns may also differ depending on definiteness. Word order may also change to accommodate definiteness, such as in the case of adjectives.

5. What is the significance of distinguishing between definite and indefinite?

Distinguishing between definite and indefinite is important in understanding the specificity and clarity of language. It also helps with comprehension and communication, as different languages may have different ways of indicating definiteness or indefiniteness.