Logarithmic Graphs in Graphmatica

In summary, the author is trying to scale the y-axis so that the major units increase with each step up the y-axis, but does not know how to achieve this. They tried using the logarithmic option in Excel and OpenOffice Calc, but found that it did not provide enough resolution. They were told that Graphmatica might be able to help, but do not know how to use it or where to start.
Ascetic Anchorite
I am trying to scale the y-axis as follows:

I want the major units to double with each step up the y-axis, starting at 0.1 and terminating at 819.2.

The problem is, I have no idea how to achieve this! I tried using the logarithmic option in Excel, and also in OpenOffice Calc, but it was of little help and did not seem to allow me the flexibility I need.

The logarithmic option in Calc scaled the graph 0.1, 1, 10, 100, 1000. This does not provide enough resolution.

I was told Graphmatica ( http://www8.pair.com/ksoft/ ) will allow me to achieve my goal. But I have no idea how to use Graphmatica and there seem to be no tutorials for it anywhere? I do not even know where in Graphmatica i am supposed to enter the equations?

This is the formulae I would like to illustrate on a graph:

Tan(90-As)*1.205*pi*2

And also (on the same chart):

1.205/cos(90-As)*pi*2

Where:

As = Steering angle (0 to 90 degrees).

My intention is to illustrate the difference in turning circles between the rear wheel and the front wheel for a bicycle with a wheelbase of 1.205 meters.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You might want to use Graph. It's so far one of the 2D sketching programmes that I like best. It's free, and very handy. Just try it and you'll see. :smile:
To use logarithmic scale in Graph, you can adjust the axes settings by going to Edit -> Axes, or click on the Edit axes settings icon (the one that shows 2 dotted, blue axes) in the taskbar, or simply use the combination Ctrl-A. A window will pop up. In y-axis tab, tick the Logarithmic scale checkbox. Set the minimum to 0.1, and maximum to 819.2, as you desire. Then uncheck the Auto tick checkbox, then set the Tick unit to 2. And everything is done. :)
Is this what you want? :)

Thanks very much. I will give it a try.

1. What is the purpose of using logarithmic graphs in Graphmatica?

Logarithmic graphs in Graphmatica are used to represent and analyze data that spans a wide range of values. They are particularly useful for visualizing exponential growth or decay, as the logarithmic scale compresses the data and makes it easier to interpret.

2. How do I create a logarithmic graph in Graphmatica?

To create a logarithmic graph in Graphmatica, first enter your data into a table. Then, select the "Log" option from the "Type" drop-down menu in the "Graph Type" section. You can also adjust the base of the logarithm and the scale of the graph to fit your data.

3. Can I change the appearance of the logarithmic graph in Graphmatica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your logarithmic graph in Graphmatica by selecting the "Format" button and adjusting the color, size, and style of the plot. You can also add gridlines or labels to make your graph more readable.

4. Is it possible to add multiple logarithmic graphs to the same plot in Graphmatica?

Yes, you can add multiple logarithmic graphs to the same plot in Graphmatica by selecting the "Add Plot" button and choosing the "Log" option for each additional graph. You can then modify the settings for each plot individually.

5. Can I export my logarithmic graph from Graphmatica to other programs?

Yes, you can export your logarithmic graph from Graphmatica to other programs by selecting the "File" menu and choosing the "Export" option. You can save your graph as an image or a data file, which can then be used in other programs or presentations.

Back