Half Life of radioactive insulin

In summary, the half life of radioactive insulin is approximately 28 minutes and is measured using a technique called radioimmunoassay. Factors such as temperature, pH level, and the presence of enzymes can affect its half life. This can impact its effectiveness in regulating blood sugar levels. While the half life itself cannot be altered, the chemical structure of the insulin can be manipulated to change its half life and effectiveness.
ming_li
In my assay of 50uL of 125-I-insulin I have 20,000 cpm at the expiry date. The half life of 125-I-Insulin is 60 days. So how can I calculate how many counts a 50uL sample of 125-I-labelled insulin would contained at 4 months past the expiry date?

cheers

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Count half-lives.

To calculate the number of counts in a 50uL sample of 125-I-labelled insulin at 4 months past the expiry date, we can use the formula for radioactive decay: N = N0 * (1/2)^(t/t1/2), where N is the current number of counts, N0 is the initial number of counts, t is the time elapsed, and t1/2 is the half life.

In this case, N0 = 20,000 cpm, t = 4 months = 120 days, and t1/2 = 60 days. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

N = 20,000 * (1/2)^(120/60) = 20,000 * (1/2)^2 = 20,000 * 1/4 = 5,000 cpm

Therefore, at 4 months past the expiry date, a 50uL sample of 125-I-labelled insulin would contain approximately 5,000 counts. It is important to note that this is just an estimate and the actual number of counts may vary slightly due to experimental error. It is always recommended to perform multiple measurements to increase accuracy.

1. What is the half life of radioactive insulin?

The half life of radioactive insulin is approximately 28 minutes. This means that in 28 minutes, half of the radioactive insulin will decay into a stable form.

2. How is the half life of radioactive insulin measured?

The half life of radioactive insulin is measured using a technique called radioimmunoassay, which involves using antibodies to detect and measure the amount of radioactive insulin present.

3. What factors can affect the half life of radioactive insulin?

The half life of radioactive insulin can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH level, and the presence of enzymes or other substances that may break down the insulin.

4. How does the half life of radioactive insulin impact its effectiveness?

The half life of radioactive insulin can impact its effectiveness by determining how quickly it is cleared from the body. A shorter half life means the insulin will be less effective for regulating blood sugar levels.

5. Can the half life of radioactive insulin be altered?

The half life of radioactive insulin is a characteristic of the element used to create it, and thus cannot be altered. However, researchers can manipulate the chemical structure of the insulin to change its half life and effectiveness.