Electromagnetism physics question

In summary, the aluminium rod slows down when a current is produced because the electrons in the rod experience a force in the opposite direction to the original motion, as described by the Left Hand Slap Rule. This force is due to the motion of the electrons, or current, in the direction of the wire, which opposes the motion of the rod. This is the reason for the smaller speed produced. The official answer concisely explains the same concept.
L89
Hi, I have a question concerning the attached diagram:
The question which accompanied the diagram is: Why does the aluminium rod (the one that lies across the other two) slow down when a current is produced?

The official answer is: "A current is produced in the rod which experiences a force in an opposite direction to the original motion, therefore slowing down the motion."

However, I do not really understand this and tried to formulate my answer. This is my attempt:

As the rod moves towards the right , its velocity is at 90° to the magnetic field. Thus the electrons in it will have the same velocity. Hence, according to the Left Hand Slap Rule [opposite of RightHSR for positive particles], a magnetic force is exerted on them and they move to the further end of the roller. The closer end becomes positively charged. Meanwhile, this potential difference induces a voltage across the rod thus causing electrons to flow anticlockwise. The two electron motions are opposite, thus the total current is small. Hence the magnetic force exerted on the rod (as current is at 90° to field) is small, and a smaller speed is produced.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Is my answer correct? If it's not can someone enlighten me?

Help will be appreciated
L89

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no diagram, but this is a standard problem, so I think I get the geometry. The official answer is a more consice way of saying a lot of what you are saying. The part about the motions being opposite is not accurate. When the wire moves the electrons are forced in the direction of the wire. This is perpendicular to, not oopposite, the direction of motion of the wire. The part of their motion in the direction of the wire results in a force that is opposite the direction the wire is moving, so there is a force that opposes the motion of the wire.

The motion of the electrons in the direction of the wire is conveniently described as a current, and the force perpendicular to this current is well known. That is why the official answer uses current to describe the effect.

Thanks very much. Yeah, it clicked. Stupid me :)

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interactions between electrically charged particles and the effects of electric and magnetic fields on these particles.

2. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related phenomena, but the main difference between them is that electricity involves the movement of electric charges while magnetism involves the movement of magnetic poles.

3. How do electric and magnetic fields interact?

Electric and magnetic fields are connected by Maxwell's equations, which describe how changes in one field can cause changes in the other. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. Similarly, a changing electric field can create a magnetic field.

4. What is the importance of electromagnetism in our daily lives?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is the basis for many technologies such as electricity generation, motors, and generators. It also allows for the transmission of information through devices like radios, televisions, and cell phones.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to light?

Electromagnetism is the foundation of the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. Light is a type of electromagnetic wave that is created by oscillating electric and magnetic fields, and it travels through space at the speed of light.