Infra-red and Ultra Violet Frequency

• Thread starter 8LPF16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary: Lyman series predictions go up to around 8.3e14, whereas Paschen series predictions end at around 5.1e14.
8LPF16
I am wondering if Science has determined specific frequencies for the two in-visible light areas ?

For the sake of brevity, only include the "pure" part of the band. For UV, do not include the crossover x-ray area, and for IR, do not include the crossover with the microwave band.

Assume that I know the general quantity already.
(UV = <5.01e16 , >8.01e14)
(IR = <4.01e14 , >5.01e12)

Another way of stating question: Do we see the same pattern of identifiable points (ie colors) in the UV and IR portion of the spectrum? These in-visible "colors" would be at the same intervals as the visible colors.

LPF

Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference between visible light and rest of the EM spectrum is that our eyes are only sensitive to visible light.

It wouldn't be a very good idea to call bands of IR "IR colors," though, because color is a perception, not a sensation. In other words, if you percieve the color yellow, it may be the result of two distinct sensations:

1) Monochromatic yellow light
2) A mixture of monochromatic red and monochromatic green light

The two situations produce the exact same perception, but are actually very different.

- Warren

chroot,

I appreciate your response, but I don't think we're on the same page.

I said "These in-visible "colors" would be at the same intervals as the visible colors."

By "in-visible", I'm saying "not seen",
and by putting quotations around "color", I'm saying "not really" color.

I'm looking for how far Lyman series predictions into UV will the same pattern go? (and Paschen series into IR)

The pattern is the same increments apart (between values of wavelength or frequency) that we define as separate colors.

I could also define the pattern as the total spread in value (w or f) of visible light. Is this overall measurement repeated in the IR and UV portions of the EM spectrum?

LPF

1. What is the difference between infra-red and ultra violet frequency?

Infra-red frequency refers to electromagnetic waves with longer wavelengths and lower frequencies than visible light. Ultra violet frequency, on the other hand, has shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies than visible light.

2. How are infra-red and ultra violet frequencies used in science?

Infra-red and ultra violet frequencies are used in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, chemistry, and medicine. They are used to study the properties of molecules, identify elements and compounds, and even detect skin cancer.

3. Can infra-red and ultra violet frequencies harm living organisms?

Yes, both infra-red and ultra violet frequencies can be harmful to living organisms if they are exposed to them for prolonged periods of time. Infra-red radiation can cause burns and ultra violet radiation can damage DNA and lead to skin cancer.

4. How do infra-red and ultra violet frequencies affect the Earth's atmosphere?

Infra-red radiation is absorbed by greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere, contributing to the warming of the planet. Ultra violet radiation is mostly filtered out by the ozone layer, but excessive exposure can lead to ozone depletion and harm the atmosphere's ability to protect us from harmful radiation.

5. Are there any practical applications of infra-red and ultra violet frequencies?

Yes, there are many practical applications of both infra-red and ultra violet frequencies. For example, infra-red technology is used in remote controls, night vision cameras, and heat-sensing devices. Ultra violet technology is used in sterilization processes, water purification, and even in counterfeit money detection.