What exactly is anti-matter?

• Thread starter Johnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anti-matter
In summary, Anti-matter is defined as an anti-electron (positron) that has negative energy and moves backwards in time. It can be created by a process in which a photon decays into a pair of positron and electron. This explains how it interacts with normal matter.
Johnson
Probably a dumb question, but I have never had it explained to me.

I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me what anti-matter is, from basics, how it is formed and how it interacts with normal matter.

-Johnson

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnson said:
I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me what anti-matter is, from basics
There are several approaches to define anti-matter. Mathematically, you could consider that an anti-electron (positron) is a negative-energy electron going back in time. This is a very convenient trick, but can be physically misleading. The flow backward in time is not physical, since it carries negative energy.

Take a look at those processes :
4.01.jpg

The two on the right are just propagation of a photon ([tex]\gamma[/tex]) and electron [tex]e^-[/tex])
Let us concentrate on the diagram on the left. If time is flowing from left to right (and vertical represents space), what you see is an electron emiting a photon while it propagates. This is not a real process, one particle at least must be virtual, but this is no real concern here. The point is the following. If now you consider that the horizontal is space, and time flowing from bottom to top of the picture, the process now represent a (virtual) photon decaying into a pair positron/electron. The positron would in that case be the most-left red line, and the arrow indicates that this is a backward-in-time electron.

If you understand this, you are about to have understood how to create anti-matter, as well as how it interactes with ordinary matter :smile:

Anti-matter is a concept in physics that refers to particles that have the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite charge and other quantum numbers. This means that anti-matter particles have the same properties as regular matter particles, but with opposite characteristics. For example, an anti-electron (also known as a positron) has the same mass as an electron, but with a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

Anti-matter is formed in high-energy processes, such as particle collisions, where matter and anti-matter particles are created in equal amounts. However, in our universe, anti-matter is relatively rare compared to regular matter. This is because when matter and anti-matter particles come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

In terms of how anti-matter interacts with normal matter, it follows the same laws of physics as regular matter. However, when anti-matter and matter particles come into contact, they will annihilate each other, releasing energy. This is why scientists are interested in studying anti-matter, as it can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of the universe.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Don't worry, it's not a dumb question at all! Physics concepts can be complex and it's always good to ask for clarification.

1. What exactly is anti-matter?

Anti-matter is a type of matter that is composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as their corresponding particles but have opposite electric charge and other quantum properties.

2. How is anti-matter different from regular matter?

Anti-matter is different from regular matter in that it has opposite charge and quantum properties. When anti-matter particles come into contact with regular matter particles, they annihilate each other and release large amounts of energy.

3. Where does anti-matter come from?

Anti-matter can be created in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, or in natural processes such as cosmic ray interactions. It is also produced during radioactive decay.

4. What are the potential uses for anti-matter?

Anti-matter has potential uses in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in propulsion systems for spacecraft. It could also be used in energy production, although the technology for harnessing anti-matter energy is still in its early stages.

5. Is anti-matter dangerous?

In small quantities, anti-matter is not dangerous. However, when large amounts of anti-matter come into contact with regular matter, it can release immense amounts of energy, making it potentially dangerous if not handled properly. Scientists are currently researching ways to safely contain and harness anti-matter for practical use.