Solving Transfer Matrix for Total Internal Reflection

In summary, the transfer matrix can still be written for total internal reflection, but the transmission coefficients will be zero. The elements of the matrix will depend on n, θ, and d, and additional equations may be needed to calculate the reflectance coefficient.
Norman
Hello,

I am trying to write the transfer matrix for surface with an s-polarized em wave incident on it. I want to look at the case of total internal reflection- but I don't know if it makes any sense to look at the transfer matrix in that case, since there is no transfer across the boundary. It is part of a problem I am working on in which I have a thin film. I can write all the parts of the matrix except the last part for total internal reflection. The wave goes from air (n=1) to a non-magnetic thin film of thickness d with a complex index of refraction n. I am trying to find the reflectance coefficient. If I can get the matrix elements for the total internal reflection I am done. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Norm

Physics news on Phys.org
If the incident wave is s-polarized, then total internal reflection will occur when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. In this case, the transfer matrix can still be written, but the transmission coefficients across the boundary will be zero. The elements of the transfer matrix will depend on the index of refraction n, the angle of incidence θ, and the thickness d of the thin film. To calculate the reflectance coefficient, you may need to use some additional equations to determine the amplitude of the reflected wave for a given incident wave.

an

Hi Norman,

Thank you for reaching out. Solving the transfer matrix for total internal reflection can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely possible. In this case, you are correct that there is no transfer across the boundary, but the transfer matrix can still be used to calculate the reflectance coefficient.

To start, we can write the transfer matrix for the air-film interface as:

M = [1, 0;
0, n]

Where n is the complex index of refraction of the film. This matrix takes into account the phase change and amplitude change of the wave as it passes through the interface.

For total internal reflection, we know that the incident angle must be greater than the critical angle, which can be calculated using Snell's law. This means that the wave will be completely reflected back into the air, with no transmission into the film. In this case, the transfer matrix for the film-air interface will become:

M' = [1, 0;
0, 1]

Note that there is no change in amplitude or phase, as the wave is not passing through the boundary.

To calculate the reflectance coefficient, we can use the following formula:

R = |M12/M22|^2

Where M12 is the element in the second row and first column of the transfer matrix, and M22 is the element in the second row and second column.

I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck!

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when light traveling through a medium reaches an interface with a second medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes the light to be fully reflected back into the original medium instead of passing through the interface.

Why is solving the transfer matrix for total internal reflection important?

Solving the transfer matrix for total internal reflection allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of light at an interface, which is crucial in many applications including optical fiber communication and microscopy.

What is the transfer matrix?

The transfer matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of light as it passes through different materials and interfaces. It takes into account the properties of each medium, such as refractive index and thickness, to determine how much light is transmitted and reflected.

How is the transfer matrix calculated?

The transfer matrix is calculated by multiplying individual matrices for each medium and interface in the light's path. These matrices represent the effects of reflection, refraction, and propagation of light at each interface. The resulting matrix can then be used to solve for the reflection and transmission coefficients.

What are some challenges in solving the transfer matrix for total internal reflection?

Some challenges in solving the transfer matrix for total internal reflection include accurately determining the refractive indices and thicknesses of the materials involved, as well as considering the polarization state of the light. Additionally, the transfer matrix may become more complex when dealing with multiple interfaces or materials with varying refractive indices.