Springs in series and parallel : Problem for U

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the compression of two identical springs in series and parallel when a 5 kg force is applied. The correct answer is 2.5 cm and the conversation also mentions the importance of specifying the units and using equations to solve similar problems in objective exams.
sss_1981
I came across an objective question on the topic 'Springs in series and parallel' .. Have i asnwered it correctly?

Q. A Force of 5Kg compresses 2 springs in series by 10 cm. What will be the compression when the same force acts on the same 2 springs but when the springs are in parallel?

Choices >>
1) 5 cm
2) 10 cm
3) 2.5 cm
4) 20 cm

MY ANSWER >> 2.5 cm

Please correct me if I am wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct !
though it should have been mentioned that the springs are identical but as nothing is mentioned we can take them to be identical

Thanks buddy...

Oh yes, U r spot on.. I forgot to mention that the springs are identical..

The logic I followed was >>

In series,
* The compression is 10 cm
* This means each spring compresses by 5cm
* Since the springs are in series, both the springs experience the full 5 kg
force
* So, each spring compresses 1 cm for 1 kg (Spring constant=1)

In parallel,
* Now, the force is divided between the 2 springs
* So, force acting on each spring is 2.5 N
* So, in this case, the spring compresses to 2.5xSpring constant(1) = 2.5 cm

Hope I am right with my logic too.. Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier:biggrin:

most welcome

well...your logic seems correct but some problem in units.

u say spring constant is 1??
if its 1 it must be 1 cm/kg wt but in si it will be not be so

but later you say the force on each spring is 2.5 N it can't be its 2.5kg wt

otherwise your soln is correct

n btw ...
if you are preparing for some objective type examinatiom
then you can use
for series
1/k=1/k1+1/k2
and parallel
k=k1+k2
where k is equivalent spring constant

Thanx chap..:approve:

(Ooops, the 2nd force that I mentioned is 2.5 KG (Not Newton) ... by mistake I wrote it as 2.5N)

1. How do you calculate the effective spring constant of springs in series?

The effective spring constant of springs in series is calculated by adding the individual spring constants together. This is because the springs are connected end to end, so the force applied to one spring is also applied to the other, resulting in a combined force equal to the sum of the individual forces. Mathematically, the equation is Keff = K1 + K2 + ... + Kn, where K is the spring constant and n is the number of springs in series.

2. How do you calculate the effective spring constant of springs in parallel?

The effective spring constant of springs in parallel is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual spring constants. This is because in parallel, each spring experiences the same force, resulting in a combined force equal to the sum of the individual forces. Mathematically, the equation is 1/Keff = 1/K1 + 1/K2 + ... + 1/Kn, where K is the spring constant and n is the number of springs in parallel.

3. How do you determine whether to use springs in series or parallel?

The decision to use springs in series or parallel depends on the desired outcome. If the goal is to increase the overall stiffness of the system, springs in series would be more appropriate. On the other hand, if the goal is to increase the overall displacement, springs in parallel would be a better choice. Additionally, the number of springs available and the limitations of the system should also be considered when deciding between series and parallel.

4. How does the behavior of springs in series differ from those in parallel?

In series, the springs share the applied force, resulting in a higher overall stiffness. This means that the system will resist deformation more, resulting in a smaller displacement. In parallel, each spring experiences the same force, resulting in a lower overall stiffness. This allows for a larger displacement, but also means that the system is less resistant to deformation.

5. Can you mix springs in series and parallel in a single system?

Yes, it is possible to mix springs in series and parallel in a single system. This can be useful in situations where a specific stiffness or displacement is desired. However, the calculations for determining the effective spring constant become more complex and may require more advanced mathematical techniques, such as matrix manipulation.