True/False on Matrices: Answers & Explanations

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions that is used in mathematics and science to represent data and perform operations. In matrix notation, a true statement means that the two matrices being compared have the same dimensions and corresponding elements are equal, while a false statement means that the dimensions or corresponding elements are not equal. To determine if two matrices are equal, their dimensions and corresponding elements must be compared. A square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, while a non-square matrix has different numbers of rows and columns. Some common operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and determinant calculation. Matrices can also be transposed, inverted, and used to solve systems of equations.
EvLer
1. If B is formed from A by exchanging two rows then B is similar to A
2. If a triangular matrix is similar to diagonal, it is already diagonal
3. If A and B are diagonalizable so is AB
4. Every invertible matrix can be diagonalized

My answers:
1. F: eigenvalues change, so the Jordan form would be different
2. I want to say true, but not entirely sure: eigenvalues would be the same and the jordan form is same so i guess that the triangular would be diagonal?
3. i would guess true, but not sure how to motivate
4. F, I know that for sure because we had an example in class
[1 -1]
[0 1] which is invertible but not diagonalizable since it has only 1 eigenvector, but how would I motivate it theoretically, i.e. how would I say in general that in certain cases there are not enough eigenvectors even for invertible matrices => not diagonalizable?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. I agree with your answer that the statement is false. When two rows are exchanged, the eigenvalues of the matrix may change, and thus the Jordan form would also be different. Therefore, B would not be similar to A.
2. I also agree that the statement is true. Triangular matrices have their eigenvalues on the main diagonal, and similar matrices have the same eigenvalues. Since diagonal matrices have their eigenvalues on the main diagonal as well, a triangular matrix that is similar to diagonal must already be diagonal.
3. The statement is true. If A and B are diagonalizable, then they can be written as A = PDP^-1 and B = QDQ^-1, where D is a diagonal matrix and P and Q are invertible matrices. Then, AB = PDP^-1QDQ^-1 = PDQ^-1, which is also diagonal since D is diagonal. Therefore, AB is also diagonalizable.
4. The statement is false. As you mentioned, there are cases where an invertible matrix cannot be diagonalized, such as when it has repeated eigenvalues. This is because for a matrix to be diagonalizable, it must have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors, which may not always be the case for an invertible matrix. So, not every invertible matrix can be diagonalized.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent data and perform operations.

What is the difference between a true and false statement in matrix notation?

In matrix notation, a true statement means that the two matrices being compared have the same dimensions and corresponding elements are equal. A false statement means that the dimensions or corresponding elements are not equal.

How do you determine if two matrices are equal?

To determine if two matrices are equal, you must compare their dimensions and corresponding elements. If both are the same, then the matrices are equal.

What is the difference between a square matrix and a non-square matrix?

A square matrix has an equal number of rows and columns, while a non-square matrix has different numbers of rows and columns. A square matrix can have a maximum of n rows and n columns, where n is the size of the matrix.

What are some common operations that can be performed on matrices?

Some common operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and determinant calculation. Matrices can also be transposed, inverted, and used to solve systems of equations.