Alright, got a meeting about summer work with Physics Dept, Need advice

In summary, you should dress like a job interview and try to read some of the professor's publications.
colin.mcenroe
Hello,

I posted a week or so ago about getting set up with some undergrad work for the summer in the physics department. I got a reply from a professor researching nuclear physics within 2 hours of sending off an e-mail! He said he would like to meet on friday. How should I present myself? Should I dress casually, or more like a job interview? Not really sure what I should do! Thanks for any advice on this!

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
You definitely can't hurt your chances treating it like a job interview. Academics however don't tend to be particularly bothered about dress code, though there are exceptions. Smart casual I'd say. Ties optional.

I agree with Sojourner - smart casual. I was actually coming from class when I first met with the professor I now work with, so I was just in jeans and a nice shirt. I'd say just avoid ratty clothing - no holes, stains, etc. You can dress like that once you become a professor. I would also suggest browsing his website/research interests/publications. This way, you'll have already familiarized yourself with some of his work, should he start explaining some of it to you or offering you a choice of project. Good luck!

I'll second (or rather third) what the others have said. When I met a professor about starting on my undergrad senior thesis, I just wore what I always wear to class. As a matter of fact I think I might have been wearing shorts that day. Obviously you need to look presentable, but if you generally dress decently, then you don't need to go out of your way to dress up.

I would, however, strongly recommend that you read a paper or two written by this professor (you can look these up on Google Scholar and various other search engines), so that you'll be able to demonstrate competence in his area of research. That's generally how you impress people in academics.

Excellent, thank you guys for the advice. I was sort of figuring that "smart" casual was the way to go. I will definitely check into this professor's publications. Thank you all!

Colin

1. What should I bring to the meeting?

It's always a good idea to bring a notebook and pen to take notes during the meeting. You may also want to bring any relevant materials or documents related to your summer work in the Physics Department.

2. What topics should I be prepared to discuss?

Be prepared to discuss your goals for the summer work, any previous experience or knowledge you have in the field, and any specific projects or tasks you are interested in working on. It's also a good idea to think about any questions or concerns you may have beforehand.

3. How can I make a good impression during the meeting?

Be sure to arrive on time, dress professionally, and show enthusiasm for the opportunity. Listen actively and ask thoughtful questions during the meeting. Also, be sure to follow up with a thank you email or note afterwards.

4. What kind of advice can I expect to receive during the meeting?

The advice you receive will likely depend on your specific situation and goals for the summer work. You may receive advice on which projects to focus on, how to balance your workload, or how to network and make connections in the field.

5. How can I best prepare for the meeting?

Do some research on the Physics Department and the projects they are currently working on. Review your resume and any relevant experience or skills. Think about your goals and what you hope to gain from the summer work. And don't forget to come with a positive attitude and willingness to learn!