Prove algebraic numbers are countable

• Thread starter JohnDuck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: Is this the right track?Yes, that is correct. Each B_n will have a finite number of equations, and therefore a finite number of elements (since the equations define the algebraic numbers). So, the union of all B_n will be countable, since it is the union of countably many finite sets. And since the union of all B_n is the set of all algebraic numbers, we have shown that the set of algebraic numbers is countable.
JohnDuck

Homework Statement

"A complex number z is said to algebraic if there are integers [itex]a_{0},...,a_{n}[/itex], not all zero, such that:

[tex]a_{0} z^{n} + a_{1} z^{n-1} +...+ a_{n-1} z + a_{0} = 0[/tex].

Prove that the set of all algebraic numbers is countable. Hint: For every positive integer N there are only finitely many equations with:

[tex]n + |a_{0}| +...+ |a_{n}| = N[/tex].

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've constructed a proof by induction that goes as follows: Consider the set [itex]A_{1}[/itex] of algebraic numbers such that [itex]a_{0}z + a_{1} = 0[/itex]. It simply defines the rational numbers, and therefore is countable. Assume the set [itex]A_{n}[/itex] of algebraic numbers s.t. [itex]a_{0} z^{n} +...+ a_{n} = 0[/itex] is countable. Consider the set of algebraic numbers [itex]A_{n+1}[/itex] s.t. [itex]a_{0} z^{n+1} + a_{1} z^{n} +...+ a_{n+1} = 0[/itex]. Choose a fixed [itex]a_{0}=a[/itex]; then this subset of [itex]A_{n+1}[/itex] can be put in one-to-one correspondence with [itex]A_{n}[/itex] (and is therefore countable). Simply associate each element of this subset with the element of [itex]A_{n}[/itex] in which all of the coefficients are equal (excluding the leading term [itex]az^{n+1}[/itex]). For example, [itex]az^{n+1}+3z^{n}+4 = 0[/itex] is associated with [itex]3z^{n}+4 = 0[/itex]. [itex]A_{n+1}[/itex] is the union of all such subsets as a ranges through the integers--and as the union of a countable amount of countable sets, [itex]A_{n+1}[/itex] is countable.

Edit: There's a special case when all the coefficients are equal to zero except a, in which case one cannot use the above method to put this subset in one-to-one correspondence with [itex]A_{n}[/itex]--however, this subset is also countable as it can easily be put in one-to-one correspondence with the integers. Thus [itex]A_{n+1}[/itex] is still countable.

Thus by induction all such [itex]A_{n}[/itex] are countable. The set of all algebraic numbers is the union of all such [itex]A_{n}[/itex] as n ranges through the natural numbers, and thus is countable.

My question then is not how to prove that the set of algebraic numbers is countable per se (though if there's an error in my proof please let me know), but rather how would one prove it using the given hint? I struggled for a while trying to figure it out that way before I gave up and tried my above approach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the hint to partition the algebraic numbers into countably many finite sets. Or rather partition the set of polynomials into countably many finite sets (which is strictly different, but implies the result).

So, what should I let B_N be (suggestively using the notation of N as in your post).

I think I see the gist of it. So, for example, [itex]B_{2}[/itex] would be the set of all polynomials such that [itex]n + |a_{0}| +...+ |a_{n}| = 2[/itex]. Since all the terms are positive and at least one coefficient is nonzero, 2-n must be an integer greater than or equal to 1 and less than 2 (which only leaves 1, which further implies n equals 1). Only two equations satisfy this, namely [itex]-x = 0[/itex] and [itex]x = 0[/itex]. Since each such [itex]B_{n}[/itex] has a finite number of elements, their union as n ranges through the natural numbers is countable.

1. What are algebraic numbers?

Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. In other words, they are solutions to equations of the form anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a2x2 + a1x + a0 = 0, where the coefficients an, an-1, ..., a0 are all rational numbers.

2. How do we prove that algebraic numbers are countable?

To prove that algebraic numbers are countable, we can use the fact that the set of all polynomials with rational coefficients is countable. We can then show that each polynomial has a finite number of roots, and therefore the set of algebraic numbers, which is the union of all the roots of these polynomials, is also countable.

3. What is the significance of proving that algebraic numbers are countable?

Proving that algebraic numbers are countable helps us understand the structure and properties of the set of real numbers. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

4. Can you provide an example of an uncountable set of numbers?

Yes, the set of all real numbers is an uncountable set. This means that there are more real numbers than there are natural numbers, and therefore it is impossible to list all the real numbers in a countable manner.

5. Are there any other ways to prove the countability of algebraic numbers?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the countability of algebraic numbers. One method is to show that the set of algebraic numbers is a subset of the set of complex numbers, which is known to be countable. Another method is to use a diagonalization argument to show that the set of algebraic numbers is countable.