Power series, why did this stay constant?

In summary: Initially there's no reason to set the sum from 1 to infinity in the derivative, so we have \frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}x^n\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}x^{n-1}But, if you plug n=0 into the right hand side, you obtain 0 for all x, hence we can write the sum without the first term.
rocomath
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9559/21808788yx1.jpg

so we took the derivative of the series, which i understand. but why is it that when the new n position was changed, why didn't the 2n+1 change as well? and i know that the n position changed b/c if it rained 0, we would have had x to the -1 as one of our terms. but I'm confused why 2n+1 is constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rocophysics said:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9559/21808788yx1.jpg

so we took the derivative of the series, which i understand. but why is it that when the new n position was changed, why didn't the 2n+1 change as well?

Do you mean the range of summation? It doesn't matter if you start the sum from 0 or 1, because for n=0 the first term of the series on the right hand side is 0. Note that the derivative for the first term n=0 on the left hand side is d/dx(x^0) = 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first term is actually 1/2, but the point remains that this is a constant which has zero for a derivative.

I think he meant that he was confused why the other n terms changed whilst the denominator did not.

Think carefully about what you actually took respect to, and what variables are held constant.

Gib Z said:
I think he meant that he was confused why the other n terms changed whilst the denominator did not.

Think carefully about what you actually took respect to, and what variables are held constant.

I don't think he's asking that, since the answer would simply be "you're differentiating wrt x, not n." I suspect his question has been answered by the above posts.

If not, then rocophysics, could you clarify what your questions actually is?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm confused about this part:

[tex]2^{n+1}[/tex]

How come it did not become 2^(n+2) or something like that after n went from 0 to 1. Is it because we took the derivative wrt to x, and not n? If so, then my question was answered, I was just so confused.

Thanks!

Last edited:
rocophysics said:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm confused about this part:

[tex]2^{n+1}[/tex]

How come it did not become 2^(n+2) or something like that after n went from 0 to 1. Is it because we took the derivative wrt to x, and not n? If so, then my question was answered, I was just so confused.

Thanks!

Ok, initially there's no reason to set the sum from 1 to infinity in the derivative, so we have [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}x^n\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{n}{2^{n+1}}x^{n-1}[/tex]

But, if you plug n=0 into the right hand side, you obtain 0 for all x, hence we can write the sum without the first term.

(This is pretty much what d_leet said above).

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical concept that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a monomial or a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It is used to approximate functions and can be manipulated using algebraic operations.

2. How is a power series related to calculus?

Power series are used in calculus to represent and manipulate functions in an infinite number of terms. They can be differentiated and integrated like polynomials, making them useful for solving complex problems in calculus.

3. Why is the power series a useful tool in mathematics?

The power series is a useful tool because it provides a way to approximate functions that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also allows for the manipulation of functions in an infinite number of terms, making it a powerful tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. What is the significance of the constant term in a power series?

The constant term in a power series represents the value of the function at the point where x = 0. This is important because it allows for the approximation of functions around a specific point, making it easier to understand the behavior of the function in that region.

5. How is the constant term of a power series related to convergence?

The constant term is one of the factors that determine the convergence of a power series. If the constant term is non-zero, the series may not converge. On the other hand, if the constant term is equal to 0, the series may converge depending on the values of the other terms in the series. Therefore, the constant term plays a crucial role in determining the convergence of a power series.