Current carrying wires

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a straight wire and a circular wire loop with opposite currents are placed next to each other and the goal is to find the current in the loop in order to create a zero net magnetic field at the center. The solution involves using the formulas for magnetic field and current. After some initial difficulties, the solution is eventually figured out.
buckeyes

Homework Statement

A very long, straight wire carries a current of 0.75 A. This wire is tangent to a single-turn, circular wire loop that also carries a current. The directions of the currents are such that the net magnetic field at the center of the loop is zero. Both wires are insulated and have diameters that can be neglected. How much current is there in the loop?

Homework Equations

http://www.webassign.net/cutnell7e/art/math/cutnell3158c21/math069.gif [Broken]
http://www.webassign.net/cutnell7e/art/math/cutnell3158c21/math083.gif [Broken]

The Attempt at a Solution

all i have is a picture drawn of a straight wire with a circular wire loop next to it. i know the formulas but i can't figure out how to put them together

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind. i figured it out. it was easier then i was trying to make it. :)

to solve the problem.

I would approach this problem by first considering the principles of electromagnetism. We know that a current-carrying wire creates a magnetic field around it, and the direction of the field is given by the right-hand rule. In this case, we have a long, straight wire with a current of 0.75 A. We also have a circular wire loop that is tangent to the straight wire, and we are told that the net magnetic field at the center of the loop is zero.

Next, I would use the formula for the magnetic field created by a straight wire to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field at the center of the loop. This would involve plugging in the values for the current, length, and distance from the wire. Since the net magnetic field is zero, we can set this calculated value equal to zero and solve for the current in the loop.

Finally, I would use the formula for the magnetic field created by a circular loop to verify my answer. This would involve plugging in the values for the current, radius, and distance from the center of the loop. If the calculated value matches the magnetic field calculated from the straight wire, then we have found the correct current in the loop.

In summary, to solve this problem as a scientist, we would use the principles of electromagnetism, along with the relevant equations, to determine the current in the circular wire loop. It is important to carefully consider the direction and strength of the magnetic fields created by both wires, and to use the right-hand rule to determine their directions.

What is the definition of a current carrying wire?

A current carrying wire is a conductive material, usually made of metal, that is used to transport electric current from one point to another.

How is the direction of current flow determined in a current carrying wire?

The direction of current flow in a wire is determined by the direction of the flow of positive charges. In most cases, current flows from the positive terminal of a power source to the negative terminal.

Why is it important to have a closed circuit when using current carrying wires?

A closed circuit is necessary for current to flow continuously in a wire. If the circuit is open, there is no complete path for the current to flow and it will not reach its intended destination.

What factors affect the resistance of a current carrying wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, temperature, and material composition. Longer wires, thinner wires, higher temperatures, and materials with higher resistance will have a higher overall resistance.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with current carrying wires?

When working with current carrying wires, it is important to wear protective gear, such as rubber gloves and safety glasses, to avoid electrical shocks or burns. It is also important to make sure the power source is turned off before handling the wires and to properly insulate any exposed wires to prevent accidental contact.