Do Weak Mediators Need to be Massive?

• Thread starter touqra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weak
In summary, the conversation discusses the argument that the weak mediators must be massive due to the short range of the weak force, based on the uncertainty principle. However, the uncertainty principle only relates to the spread in time and not the absolute value of mass. The range of an interaction is proportional to the inverse of the mediator's mass, which is why the weak mediators are very massive. This is also supported by the fact that the symmetry of the W+, W-, and Z_0 bosons is broken, giving them mass. However, other mechanisms such as charge screening can also shorten the range of a force. The argument presented is also critiqued, as it confuses cause and effect and implies that massive particles always have short
touqra
I encountered an argument that says that the weak mediators must be massive because the weak force is short range, by the uncertainty principle. But isn't the uncertainty principle relates the uncertainty in mass, [tex] \delta m [/tex] and [tex] \delta t [/tex] and not the absolute value of the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty principle is a weak reed for this case.
The range of an interaction, from Fourier transform of the scattering amplitude,
is proportional to the inverse of the intermediate boson mass.

They are very massive because they can only last a short amount of time, in the it's early stages of theory Fermi just gave them infinite mass.

It also helps when you think that the Electromagnetic force, which acts infinitely far is mediated by the photon which has no mass.

Maybe a little mathier way to look at it is that they are massive because their symmetry is broken. The color symmetry of QCD is not broken so the gluons are massless, and the u(1) symmetry of electric charge in EM is not broken so the photon is massless, but the su(2)Xu(1) symmetry of isospin and hypercharge is broken so the W+, W-, Z_0 get a mass.

touqra said:
I encountered an argument that says that the weak mediators must be massive because the weak force is short range

That argument is backwards anyway. It confuses cause and effect. The weak force is short range because its mediators are heavy. But other mechanisms - e.g. charge screening - can also shorten range.

touqra said:
I encountered an argument that says that the weak mediators must be massive because the weak force is short range, by the uncertainty principle. But isn't the uncertainty principle relates the uncertainty in mass, [tex] \delta m [/tex] and [tex] \delta t [/tex] and not the absolute value of the mass?
There is only a spread on time ! The energy is set equal to the rest energy of the particle ! Because :
1) we just want to find out the range of a massive particle.
2) suppose you know the rest energy (which is detected by experiment), one can use that value to plug into the deltaE !

In the end, we just want to find out that having mass means having finite range and we want to have like an estimation of that range, not an exact value !

Check out : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/exchg.html#c2
Vanadium 50 said:
That argument is backwards anyway. It confuses cause and effect. The weak force is short range because its mediators are heavy. But other mechanisms - e.g. charge screening - can also shorten range.

Doesn't have to be he case. One can also state that the opposite. Look at the "rage-formula" in the website above

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
Vanadium 50 said:
Doesn't have to be he case. One can also state that the opposite. Look at the "rage-formula" in the website above

One can state whatever one wants, I suppose. That doesn't make it correct.

Massive implies short range.
Short range does not imply massive.

The force carried by the gluon is short range, but that's because of confinement, not because the gluon is massive. In fact, it's massless.

Vanadium 50 said:
One can state whatever one wants, I suppose. That doesn't make it correct.
True, but what i stated is backed up by a formula which is in accordance with experimental results, so...

Massive implies short range.
Short range does not imply massive.
I never stated that short range implies massive. Besides, i never used the word "implication" here because we are dealing with an "equality", which is identical "in both directions", NOT an equivalence !

So, i would say this is a semantics issue.

marlon

"Check out : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../exchg.html#c2
Look at the "rage-formula" in the website above"

When something is determined on dimensional grounds, almost any derivation, no matter how wrong, will give the correct answer.
The QM concept of range is usually discussed in the context of the Yukawa force, mediated by the exchange of a pion of mass m, which is the only dimensional object that can appear in the potential. The only reasonable modification of the Coulomb potential is the dimensionless factor exp(-mr). Thus ANY dervation will give the range as 1/m.

Last edited by a moderator:
pam said:
"Check out : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../exchg.html#c2
Look at the "rage-formula" in the website above"

When something is determined on dimensional grounds, almost any derivation, no matter how wrong, will give the correct answer.
The QM concept of range is usually discussed in the context of the Yukawa force, mediated by the exchange of a pion of mass m, which is the only dimensional object that can appear in the potential. The only reasonable modification of the Coulomb potential is the dimensionless factor exp(-mr). Thus ANY dervation will give the range as 1/m.

Is it me or is this link not working ?
Besides, i cannot find the text that pam quoted.

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to just copy the website you gave in post #6. Maybe something got left out.

1. What is the concept of "weak mediators"?

Weak mediators are particles that play a role in the interactions between other particles, but have low interaction strengths compared to other particles.

2. Why do some scientists believe weak mediators need to be massive?

Some scientists hypothesize that if weak mediators have a higher mass, they will have a shorter range of interaction, which can explain why they are weakly interacting in normal conditions.

3. What are the implications of weak mediators being massive?

If weak mediators are found to have significant mass, it would change our understanding of particle interactions and potentially provide new insights into the fundamental forces of nature.

4. Are there any experiments or evidence supporting the idea of weak mediators being massive?

Yes, there have been experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider that have provided evidence for the existence of massive weak mediators.

5. How does the concept of "weak mediators" relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model includes weak mediators, known as the W and Z bosons, as carriers of the weak nuclear force. However, the mass of these particles is still a topic of research and debate within the scientific community.