Math major and engineering major

In summary, if you are considering a double major in math and chemistry, you should expect to take Calc 1,2,3 + DE and Linear Algebra. You will also need to take more math for the amth major, but your first 4 or 5 classes will count towards both majors.
pakmingki2
Hello
I'm a freshmen in college and I am planning on doing a double major for a BS in math and chem e or ee.

Does anyone have experiences with this?
what should i expect?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on what math you begin with, many math classes could over lap between your majors.
For the Math and EE ( I'm not so familiar with reqs for Chem E) you will need Calc 1,2,3 + DE and probably Linear Algebra as well. (The EE major may call Linear Algebra just Matricies or Discrete Math Or some other more generic name where in you learn more than just linear algebra techniques)

Of course you will need more math for the amth major but your first 4 or 5 classes will count towards both majors. Other than that the over lap ceases. That is not to say one will not complememnt the other past that rather that only the initial classes will double up. You may take a higher level Applied Maths course that helps you a lot with your EE but it may not count for anythign in your EE major.

You will be thinking in two different ways once you are into your 3rd and 4th years. The upper division math courses may seem rather vague and abstract and less application oriented. Where as I think Ee in general will feel more application oriented

at my school the after the overlapping classes it's 7 classes for a math major

Im a math/computer engineering/ physics guy. If you do math, i figure you will have to do Ba or Bs requirements in addition to an enginneering degree. This means you might have more core classes to take. Otherwise, its a very enjoyable course of study and i wish you the best.
Also, digital systems processing is a very mathematical subject that you might want to focus on if you choose the EE or CpE route.

Last edited:
A lot of the aerospace professors here have minors in math because it was required at MIT (Almost all are from MIT). So, I think its a very good idea.

Speaking of MIT, my school ranks higher than it in polymers! =D

1. What is the difference between a math major and an engineering major?

A math major focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and theories, while an engineering major applies those concepts to real-world problems and designs solutions.

2. What skills are required for a math major?

A math major should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and theories. They should also have excellent critical thinking and communication skills.

3. What skills are required for an engineering major?

An engineering major should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They should also have the ability to work with others and communicate effectively.

4. Can I pursue both a math major and an engineering major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both a math major and an engineering major. However, it may require careful planning and may take longer to complete both degrees.

5. What career opportunities are available for math majors and engineering majors?

Math majors can pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, finance, and education. Engineering majors can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, biotechnology, and software development. Both majors also have opportunities for graduate studies and research.