Diagrammatic Notation for Tensors: Worthwhile Learning?

• Thread starter Eidos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discussed diagrammatic notation for tensors, with one person expressing interest in learning it due to its clarity compared to index notation. They also mentioned the aesthetic appeal and naturalness of using contraction and graphical proofs. The conversation concluded with one person expressing their opinion that it is not worthwhile to learn.
Eidos
Hi guys

I was first introduced to diagrammatic notation in Roger Penrose's book "Road to Reality".
I wanted to know if any of you are familiar with diagrammatic notation for tensors? As such, is it worthwhile learning? Its certainly a lot clearer (for me anyway :P) than index notation for some of the more complicated structures.

I quite like the way contraction looks and a few of the graphical 'proofs' seem very natural (like the determinant of a product being the product of the determinants).

As an aside: If you were to add two tensors of the same valence, what would the new structure look like?

Thanks
Jacques

Physics news on Phys.org
It's junk, in my opinion.

1. What is diagrammatic notation for tensors?

Diagrammatic notation for tensors is a visual representation of tensor operations using diagrams, instead of traditional mathematical notation. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of tensor calculations.

2. Why is learning diagrammatic notation for tensors worthwhile?

Learning diagrammatic notation for tensors can be beneficial for several reasons. It can help with understanding complex tensor operations, provide a more efficient way to perform calculations, and facilitate communication and collaboration between scientists and researchers.

3. How is diagrammatic notation for tensors different from traditional mathematical notation?

Diagrammatic notation for tensors uses diagrams and graphical symbols to represent tensor operations, while traditional mathematical notation uses symbols and equations. Diagrammatic notation can be more intuitive and visual, whereas traditional notation can be more precise and concise.

4. Is diagrammatic notation for tensors used in a specific field of science?

Diagrammatic notation for tensors is used in various fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in fields that deal with complex calculations and operations involving tensors, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. Can anyone learn diagrammatic notation for tensors?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of tensor algebra and calculus can learn diagrammatic notation for tensors. It may require some practice and familiarity with the notation, but it is a valuable skill for any scientist or researcher working with tensors.