If theres matter in the universe

In summary, the question of whether the universe exists without any observers is a bit flawed, as it depends on the definition of "universe". However, it can be argued that the universe does exist regardless of our perceptions of it, and that there are different versions of the universe depending on one's perspective. Ultimately, the question remains open to interpretation and discussion.
Denton
And no life is around to witness it, does the universe exist?

Space news on Phys.org
If there is matter in the universe it must necessarily exist, since the premise that there is matter in the universe can only be satisfied if the universe itself is there. This is somewhat tautological, and the answer is based on an interpretation of the term "existence" as synonymous with "to be".

That being said, one could state that the universe didn't exist, and given the absence of observers, no observation suggesting otherwise could be made.

I guess it amounts to deciding whether there is matter in the universe, though this of course cannot be done in the absence of observers ("life") either. It seems this makes the question a bit even more hypothetical than at first glance.

Yes.

The universe is an object.
Objects exist whether or not they are observed.
Therefore, our perceptions of the universe have no bearing on its existence.

I don't see how one can make an argument in the positive without resorting to relativistic notions of reality. (Not to be confused with relativity :D)

I agree, that the question is a little flawed. But it's also perfectly reasonable. Flawed in the sense, that it depends WHAT universe, your talking about. In my opionion, there's different versions of the word. I Could be the only inhabitant of my universe, in that, Do i know or care what happens in the life of the guy that lives on the other side of town? I'll never meet him, and his life will almost certainly NEVER interact with mine. Then there's the Universe we look at as a human race, The thing that our planet floats through.

And as for the perfectly reasonable part of the question: Both situtation above CAN be answered as a yes. Simply because our LIVES can be considered OUR universes. And on cosmic level, even if our Solar system really is just a glass marble in some giant figure's pocket, this being's world COULD be called the Universe.

Mind you this is just my opinion AND my first post to this board =) Feel Free to tear it apart, as it's the only way to learn

This is the tired, old, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it still make a sound".

Closed.

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is the physical substance that makes up the universe and everything in it.

2. How much matter is in the universe?

The exact amount of matter in the universe is unknown, but it is estimated to be around 5% of the total energy content of the universe. The remaining 95% is believed to be made up of dark matter and dark energy.

3. How is matter formed in the universe?

Matter is formed through the process of nucleosynthesis, which occurs during the early stages of the universe's evolution. This involves the fusion of atoms to create heavier elements, such as hydrogen and helium.

4. Can matter be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different forms. This means that the amount of matter in the universe remains constant, even though it may change in appearance or composition.

5. What are the different types of matter in the universe?

There are four known states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. In addition, there are also various forms of matter, such as dark matter, which has not yet been directly observed but is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe's matter content.