Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,226
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam." (Said by Cato The Elder after any speech, regardless of relevance to that speech)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
Corrected.
Darken-Sol said:
i yam who i yam

• #1,228
Misericorde said:
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam." (Said by Cato The Elder after any speech, regardless of relevance to that speech)

For those who do not know Latin, the above says "furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed."

• #1,229
Corrected.
Originally Posted by Darken-Sol
i yam who i yam

One more time...

I yam what I yam.

• #1,230
Char. Limit said:
For those who do not know Latin, the above says "furthermore, I think Carthage should be destroyed."

Oh, sorry about that, I forgot to include the translation. I witlessly posted an entire joke from other sites too, so maybe not an auspicious start here?

I do love the idea that the equivalent of a US senator or feudal lord could just say, "I think that place should be razed," after EVERY speech. I would have hated to be a Carthaginian at that time, I'll tell you!

Triple_D: I yam what I yam, "cause I eats my spinach" (Popeye)

"A hazug embert hamarabb utolérik, mint a sánta kutyát." "They catch up with a liar sooner than with a limping dog."
A Hungarian proverb.

• #1,231
Misericorde said:
This forum is fantastic for people trying to write fiction that doesn't utterly trample physics.
w00t.

That'll be my signature someday.

• #1,232
  • #1,233
we are consistently inconsistent. - rhody

• #1,234
A favorite of mine:

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

• #1,235
my favourite quote... i can resist anything...except temptation . oscar wilde

• #1,236
In one generation we have gone from extraterrestrial planets being a mainstay of science fiction, to the present, where Kepler has helped turn science fiction into today's reality. - Charles Bolden

• #1,237
Umad? - 4chan to world

• #1,238
G037H3 said:
Umad? - 4chan to world

Urbandictionary's entry on this made me literally laugh out loud:

Possible response: "Yes, I mad, and if you weren't hiding behind an anonymous identity on the Internet, I'd find you and let you know just how mad I am."
Person 1: "Stop ****ing micspamming and hacking you ****ing dickcheese!"

Person 2: "Lol u mad?"

Person 1: "..."

(a few days later)

Person 2: " YOU KILLED MY FAMILY AND BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN! YOU *****!"

Person 1: "lol u mad?"

• #1,239
"A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials." -Ronald Knox

• #1,240
If you remember, in high school there were always a couple of kids whose clothes were on crooked, whose glasses were really thick and hung sideways. Their hair was never right, and their clothes didn't match, and they looked like little lost souls wandering down the hallway. That was me.

---------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxTVxGhHFM

• #1,241
I am going to wipe man whom I have created off the surface of the earth, from man to domestic animal, to beast, and to flying creatures of the heavens, because I do regret that I have made them.

• #1,242
"In a flash of adrenaline I knew, absolutely knew, it could be just one thing: squid. Giant alpine squid."
Peter Croft's mind playing tricks on him on a midnight climb in the high Sierras.

• #1,243
Darken-Sol said:
I am going to wipe man whom I have created off the surface of the earth, from man to domestic animal, to beast, and to flying creatures of the heavens, because I do regret that I have made them.

Um. Is this a quote...

... or is this just you thinking out loud?

Because if it is, perhaps I've underestimated your identity.

I'll put more in the plate on Sunday. I don't want to be wiped off the surface of the Earth please.

• #1,244
DaveC426913 said:
Um. Is this a quote...

... or is this just you thinking out loud?

Because if it is, perhaps I've underestimated your identity.

I'll put more in the plate on Sunday. I don't want to be wiped off the surface of the Earth please.

Don't be a wimp! Take it like a man! Come on God, gimme what you got!

• #1,245
Char. Limit said:
Don't be a wimp! Take it like a man! Come on God, gimme what you got!

this was a quote from god pre-flood genesis. i always think "what about the fish, its not fair."

• #1,246
Darken-Sol said:
this was a quote from god pre-flood genesis. i always think "what about the fish, its not fair."

I stand by my statement.

• #1,247
Char. Limit said:
I stand by my statement.
Ah! Then you're the one who bought up all the gopher wood at the local Home Depot!

• #1,248
"war is not about who is right, but who is left." i think this was bertrand russel but I'm to lazy to find out for sure.

• #1,249
Beware of quotes on the Internet. They may be inaccurate. - Abraham Lincoln

• #1,250
FtlIsAwesome said:
Beware of quotes on the Internet. They may be inaccurate. - Abraham Lincoln

LoL.

"Make unusual choices."

• #1,251
...grizzly adams did have a beard.

• #1,252
"The dream to kill me will never be completed." ~ Osama bin Laden

(true, no one is dreaming about it now...)

• #1,253
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I truly am not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

• #1,254
‎"I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure."
-Clarence Darrow

Not necessarily a favorite, but it made me think. Don't know if I agree with it or not.

• #1,255
The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!

• #1,256
Great quote, but...
Darken-Sol said:
The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintaglio_Ascension_Trilogy" . :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,257
DaveC426913 said:
Great quote, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintaglio_Ascension_Trilogy" . :biggrin:
haha!

• #1,258
"Hide a knife behind a smile" (unknown)
"Smiles conceal knives." (Fynn Flewelling)

• #1,259
Actually, "hide a knife behind a smile" is one of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems" of ancient China.

• #1,260
Char. Limit said:
Actually, "hide a knife behind a smile" is one of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems" of ancient China.

Thanks, I didn't know that!