Standard perturbation theory - what exactly is meant?

In summary, standard perturbation theory is a method of quantization around trivial classical solutions, while instanton solutions are non-trivial, non-perturbative classical solutions that arise in the euclidean formalism. They cannot be simplified without an understanding of the theory of Fiber Bundles.
omg!
"standard perturbation theory" - what exactly is meant?

hi,

could someone please help me out with the question in the title, in the following context:

standard perturbation theory can be viewed as a special case of the
semiclassical method, where one quantises fluctuations around trivial
classical solutions, whereas in soliton or instanton physics, one does the
same thing around non-trivial, non-perturbative classical solutions.

the quantization around trivial classical solutions can be done via the minkowskian path integral, while instanton solutions arise in the euclidean formalism (using a semiclassical approximation, in the sense of stationary phase approximation and steepest descent).

however, I'm not sure what the author (Rajamaran) means with standard perturbation theory and the assertion that instanton solutions are non-perturbative classical solutions.

Thanks a lot.

(i hope my question makes sense, I'm quite new at qm)

Physics news on Phys.org
Instantons are lowest action solutions of the Classical Field Theory that live in a different topological sector from the typical lowest action solution, the Classical "vacuum" of ##A_{\mu} = 0##. Different Topological sector means that the Fiber Bundle of which they are a section is not homeomorphic to the Fiber Bundle of the vacuum solution (despite them both having the same base space). It is not really possible to discuss Instantons without the language of Fiber Bundles, so I cannot simplify it beyond that without explaining the theory of Fiber Bundles.

They are "nonperturbative" because typically these Classical solutions contain information about the corresponding Quantum Field Theory that is not accessible from Perturbation theory about the Classical vacuum.

1. What is standard perturbation theory?

Standard perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate the solution to a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, solvable components. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve equations that cannot be solved analytically.

2. How does standard perturbation theory work?

The basic idea behind standard perturbation theory is to express the solution to a problem as a series of terms, with each term becoming progressively more accurate. The first term is the simplest approximation, and each subsequent term adds more complexity and accuracy to the solution.

3. What type of problems can be solved using standard perturbation theory?

Standard perturbation theory is most commonly used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, such as the behavior of subatomic particles or the properties of atoms and molecules. It can also be applied to problems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics, among others.

4. What are the limitations of standard perturbation theory?

While standard perturbation theory is a powerful tool for solving complex problems, it does have limitations. It is only accurate for small perturbations, and it may fail to converge if the perturbation is too large. It also assumes that the system is linear, which may not always be the case.

5. Are there any alternatives to standard perturbation theory?

Yes, there are other perturbation techniques, such as variational perturbation theory and renormalization group theory, that can be used to solve complex problems. These methods may be more accurate or applicable in certain situations, but standard perturbation theory remains a widely used and effective tool for many problems.