Weight of a lion standing on th earth

In summary, the question asks for the weight of a lion standing on the surface of the earth. The given information is the mass of the lion, which is 8.00 x 10^1 kg. The weight of an object is related to its mass and the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the lion's weight can be calculated using Newton's second law.
tim_mannire

Homework Statement

Find the weight of a 8.00 x 10^1 Kg lion standing on the surface of the earth.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

??

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you here at PF. What quantity have you been given? How does this relate to weight?

cristo said:
You need to show some work before we can help you here at PF. What quantity have you been given? How does this relate to weight?

oh ok, I'm not really sure how to tackle this question..

tim_mannire said:
oh ok, I'm not really sure how to tackle this question..

Ok, well can you answer my questions above? What is the quantity that you have been given? How does this relate to the weight of the lion?

cristo said:
Ok, well can you answer my questions above? What is the quantity that you have been given? How does this relate to the weight of the lion?

All I've been given is the question. I believe there is only one lion.

tim_mannire said:
All I've been given is the question. I believe there is only one lion.

Hmm.. I see I've confused you. Let's try another angle:

What have you been told about the lion? What property of the lion do you know? HOw does this property relate to the lion's weight?

It would also help if you remembered what the unit for weight is, which is related to Newton's second law.

1. What is the average weight of a lion standing on the earth?

The average weight of a male lion is around 420 pounds, while the average weight of a female lion is around 280 pounds. However, these weights can vary depending on factors such as age, health, and habitat.

2. How does the weight of a lion compare to other animals?

The weight of a lion is quite impressive. It is the second-largest living cat, with only the tiger being larger. Lions are also one of the heaviest land mammals, with only a few species of elephant weighing more.

3. Does the weight of a lion change when it stands on the earth?

The weight of a lion does not change when it stands on the earth. The weight of an object is a measure of the force of gravity acting on it, and since the force of gravity does not change, the weight remains the same.

4. Can the weight of a lion affect its behavior?

Yes, the weight of a lion can affect its behavior. Heavier lions may have a harder time hunting, as they are less agile and may tire more easily. However, a larger weight can also make them more intimidating and dominant in their social interactions.

5. How is the weight of a lion measured?

The weight of a lion is typically measured using a scale. In the wild, scientists may use remote cameras or other methods to estimate the weight. In captivity, zookeepers may use a specialized scale designed for larger animals to weigh the lions.