Check , Volumes for Calculus 1

In summary, the conversation was about finding volumes for Calculus 1 problems. The first problem involved finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region around the y-axis. The second problem asked for the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region around the x-axis. The third problem involved using the shell method to find the volume of a solid. The fourth problem asked for the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region around the x-axis using the shell method. The fifth problem involved finding the volume of a solid using parallel cross-sections. The conversation also included a mistake correction and a request for help on a particular problem. Eventually, all of the problems were solved.
rocomath
Check please, Volumes for Calculus 1

Been a while since I've done these type of problems, check please!

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3558/volumes1iy0.jpg"

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6768/volumes2aa9.jpg"

1. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the y-axis:
xy=5, x=0, y=1, y=3

2. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis:
y=-7x+14, y=7x, x=0

3. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the y-axis:
y=x^3, x=2, y=1

4. Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis:
y=7x^2, y=7sqrt(x)

5. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the y-axis:
y=1/2(x-2)^2, y=2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure about 2.

Mistake on 4, 189pi/10.

5. 56pi/5

Can I get help on this one.

The base of a solid is a circular disc with radius 3. Find the volume of the solid if parallel cross-sections perpendicular to the base are isosceles triangles with the hypotenuse lying along the base.

isosceles triangles can have 3 equal sides. This is the angle I am trying to work, however, I keep getting 0 myself.
What do you have so far?

y=(9-x^2)^1/2

Area = (bh)/2
= (9-x^2)/2
??

baileykd said:
isosceles triangles can have 3 equal sides. This is the angle I am trying to work, however, I keep getting 0 myself.
What do you have so far?
You're thinking equilateral triangles.

I already corrected & solved all the problems though, thanks!

1. What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function, while integrals measure the accumulation of a function over an interval.

2. What is the purpose of checking volumes in calculus?

Checking volumes in calculus is important because it allows us to determine the volume of irregular or curved shapes. This is useful in real-world applications such as finding the volume of a water tank or the capacity of a container.

3. How do you find the volume of a solid using calculus?

To find the volume of a solid using calculus, we use the method of integration. This involves dividing the solid into infinitesimally small sections, finding the area of each section, and then summing up all the areas to find the total volume.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral will result in a function with a constant of integration.

5. How do you determine the volume of a solid with a known cross-sectional area?

If the cross-sectional area of a solid is known, we can use the method of cross-sectional areas to determine the volume. This involves finding the area of each cross section, which can then be integrated to find the total volume.