What is the connection between power series and Taylor series?

In summary, a power series represents a function more precisely than a taylor series does. To find the Taylor's series for a power series, you just need to find the derivatives and evaluate at x=0.
rwx1606
What exactly the connection between a power series and taylor series? I know all taylor series are power series with the coefficients = f^n(a)/n!, but what can we say about power series? My graduate student instructor said that all convergent power series are taylor series and I don't quite understand that. To me, taylor series just seems like a special case of power series where the coefficients has a special formula. Anyone care to explain? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've already said it. All taylor series are power series. If the power series converges on a finite interval to some function f(x), then you can regard the power series as a taylor series for f(x). It's nothing really deep.

so can we say taylor series represents function in a more precise way than power series does?

toni said:
so can we say taylor series represents function in a more precise way than power series does?

If a power series 'represents' a function (by being equal to it on a open interval surrounding a point), then it IS the taylor series.

rwx1606 said:
What exactly the connection between a power series and taylor series? I know all taylor series are power series with the coefficients = f^n(a)/n!, but what can we say about power series? My graduate student instructor said that all convergent power series are taylor series and I don't quite understand that. To me, taylor series just seems like a special case of power series where the coefficients has a special formula. Anyone care to explain? Thanks in advance.
Exercise: Let
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} a_n x^n[/tex]
be a power series that converges for [itex]x \in (-R, R)[/itex]. Find a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] whose Taylor series is that power series.

rwx1606 said:

Not just a "special case". If a power series converges to a function, the it is a Taylor's series for that function.

Problem: Find the Taylor's series for 1/(1- x) around x= 0 and find its radius of convergence. Yes, you could calculate the derivatives and evaluate at x= 0. That's not very difficult.

But it is much easier to recall that, if |r|< 1, then the geometric series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
and just take a= 1, x= r: The Taylor's series for 1/(1- x) about x= 0 is
[tex]\sum x^n[/tex].
Because that is a power series that converges to 1/(1-x), it is the Taylor's series. Also, the fact that the geometric series converges for |r|< 1 and diverges for |r|> 1 tells us that the radius of convergence is 1.

Hurkyl said:
Exercise: Let
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} a_n x^n[/tex]
be a power series that converges for [itex]x \in (-R, R)[/itex]. Find a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] whose Taylor series is that power series.

i donno...seems i still not getting the point at all ==;

it's like if I am given a question asking me to find a taylor series of a function, i will definitely lost. and the "center of convergence" how am i going to find it? using convergence test to find the interval of x and pick the middle point?

1. What is a Power Series/Taylor Series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constant coefficients and (x-a)n is a term that involves the variable x raised to the nth power. A Taylor series is a special type of power series that is centered at a specific point a, and is used to approximate a function near that point.

2. What is the purpose of using Power Series/Taylor Series?

The purpose of using power series/taylor series is to approximate a function that may be difficult to evaluate directly. By using a series of simpler functions, we can approximate the original function and make calculations easier.

3. How is a Power Series/Taylor Series calculated?

To calculate a power series/taylor series, we use the formula for the nth term of the series, which is given by cn(x-a)n. We then add up all the terms from n=0 to n=∞ to get the series. The accuracy of the series depends on the number of terms used in the calculation.

4. What is the difference between a Power Series and a Taylor Series?

The main difference between a power series and a Taylor series is the point at which they are centered. A power series can be centered at any point, while a Taylor series is specifically centered at a point a. This means that a Taylor series is a type of power series, but not all power series are Taylor series.

5. How are Power Series/Taylor Series used in real life applications?

Power series/taylor series are used in various real life applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to approximate functions and make calculations easier and more accurate. For example, they are used in circuit analysis, signal processing, and financial modeling.