Please help in the result of: sin3xdx+2y(cos3x)^3dy =0

• Thread starter bobmerhebi
  • Start date
In summary, bobmerhebi reached a dead end when trying to solve the given differential equation. He was confused because he tried different methods and the -ve sign persisted. He was waiting for someone to help him and that someone was you.
bobmerhebi
1. Solve by Seperable Variable: sin3xdx + 2ycos33xdy = 0

2. We need write it in the form: dy/dx = g(x).h(y)

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

a few algebraic operations lead to: dy/dx = (-sin3x/cos33x).(1/2y) with h(y) = 1/2y
now we have (y2)' = 2ydy = -sin3xdx/cos33x
integrating we get: y2 = [tex]\int[/tex]-sin3xdx/cos33x =G(x)

thus y2 = (1/3).[tex]\int[/tex]d(cos3x)/cos33x = (1/3).(-1/2).(1/cos23x)
so y2 = -1/6cos23x. :confused:

here i reached a dead end. is there anything wrong in the attempt or is it right as i think & the given d.e. is wrong ? note that i tried to solve it more then 10 times, i also tried the tan3x & its derivative but the -ve sign persists.

waiting for your help. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you mean : [tex]y^2=\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/tex] , then your solution is correct.

When you differentiate it you get:

[tex]2ydy=(-2)(3) \left( \frac{sin^3(3x)}{6cos^3(3x)} \right)=\frac{-sin^3(3x)}{cos^3(3x)}[/tex]

which gives you back your original ODE...why were you thinking it was incorrect?

That is a solution to the differential equation. It is not the general solution.

What happened to the constant of integration in [itex]y^2 = -\int sin3xdx/cos33x[/itex]

nop but my doctor gave it besides others as ana assignment & i tried it many times - at first yeh i though it was wrong - so i got the same answer over & over again.
So there's some problem with the D.E. given. I use the book: A first Course in Differential equations by Dennis Zill 8th ed.

ofcorse its a solution. there's many sol.s , but eventhough the answer y2 is -ve which is impossible.

Welcome to PF!

Hi bobmerhebi! Welcome to PF! :smile:
bobmerhebi said:
2. We need write it in the form: dy/dx = g(x).h(y)

a few algebraic operations lead to: dy/dx = (-sin3x/cos33x).(1/2y) with h(y) = 1/2y
now we have (y2)' = 2ydy = -sin3xdx/cos33x

hmm … that took a long time …

it's quicker to start by separating them into the form h(y)dy = g(x)dx …

the clue's in the word "separable" :wink:
… thus y2 = (1/3).[tex]\int[/tex]d(cos3x)/cos33x = (1/3).(-1/2).(1/cos23x)
so y2 = -1/6cos23x. :confused:

the -ve sign persists.

Yes, you're wondering how the LHS can be positive and the RHS negative …

that'll teach you not to leave out the constant of integration in future, won't it? :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
so including the constant of integration c we have:

y2 = (1/3).( <2cos23x -1>/2cos23x)
= (2c.cos23x - 1)/6cos23x

where the numerator = 2c-1 but c should be positive right for the solution to be valid?

bobmerhebi said:
so including the constant of integration c we have:

y2 = (1/3).( <2cos23x -1>/2cos23x)
= (2c.cos23x - 1)/6cos23x

where the numerator = 2c-1 but c should be positive right for the solution to be valid?

Sorry, bobmerhebi, but that makes no sense at all …

a constant of integration should just be added … at the end. :smile:

so it should look like this: y2 = -1/6cos23x+ c? I am not getting it! It seems to be the same but a famile of solutions which i think are still invalid. Am I missing something?

bobmerhebi said:
so it should look like this: y2 = -1/6cos23x+ c?

Yes! :biggrin:

(except personally I'd write it y2 = C - 1/6cos23x)

What is wrong with taking the square root of a negative number? You just get an imaginary value of y, no big deal...

If you only want real-valued solutions, then you have to restrict your Domain.

in this case the constant should be greater or equal than 1/6cos23x. so here there should be a condition right?

thx 4 the help

Your constant is a constant...how can it always be larger than [itex]\frac{1}{6cos^2(3x)}[/itex]? ??

Instead, if you want only the real-valued solutions, you have to restrict your x-values (your Domain): only values of x for which [itex]\frac{-1}{6cos^2(3x)}+C \geq 0[/itex] give real solutions for y.

Your constant [itex]C[/itex] is determined by the initial conditions of the system. For example; if you are told that y(0)=1/sqrt(6), then C will be 1/3.

Last edited:
bobmerhebi said:
in this case the constant should be greater or equal than 1/6cos23x …

No, the constant should be ≥ 0. :smile:

(and as gabbagabbahey says, x is limited)

aha ok then the independent variable should be over a restricted domain to get real valued solutions otherwise the solution is in the complex system. thank you all 4 ur help

1. What is the given equation trying to solve?

The given equation is trying to find the relationship between x and y that satisfies the condition that the integral of sin3xdx plus 2y multiplied by the cube of cos3x is equal to 0.

2. Why is the equation set to equal 0?

In mathematics, equations are often set to equal 0 in order to solve for the values of the variables. In this case, by setting the equation equal to 0, we are looking for the values of x and y that make the equation true.

3. How can I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. It is also helpful to rearrange the equation to isolate the variables on one side and the constants on the other side.

4. What are the possible solutions to this equation?

The possible solutions to this equation are infinite, as there are many different combinations of values for x and y that can satisfy the equation. It is important to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the condition.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help with the computational aspects of solving this equation. However, it is important to understand the mathematical concepts and steps involved in solving the equation rather than solely relying on a calculator.