Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development

In summary, "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by L. E. Ballentine is highly recommended by multiple readers. It is considered to be one of the best textbooks on non-relativistic QM, with a clear and concise writing style that avoids unnecessary information. Many readers have praised it over other popular textbooks, such as Sakurai's, and it comes recommended by respected members of the Physics Forums community. Overall, "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" is a must-have book for anyone interested in the subject.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yesterday, I have finished with reading of the book
L. E. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development
I have seen many textbooks on non-relativistic QM, but for me this one is simply the best.
I highly recommend it to everybody.

I would also like to see the opinion of the others who have seen the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. It's an excellent book. Ballentine dispenses with much of the nonsense that slips into some books.

I have it, and I, too, think that it excellent. I like it much better than, for example, Sakurai.

Having seen in this thread the previous recommendations for Ballentine from several people
I respect very much on Physics Forums, I decided to order a copy. (I already have quite a
few other QM/QFT books.)

My copy arrived this morning, and I immediately dipped into several sections to see how
he deals with certain topics. I am so pleased in every instance that I'll now make
time to (eventually) read the entire book. :-)

1. What is the main premise of "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development"?

The main premise of "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" is to provide a comprehensive and modern understanding of quantum mechanics, including its mathematical foundations and applications to various areas of physics.

2. Who is the target audience for "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development"?

The target audience for "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" is primarily advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and related fields, as well as researchers and professionals looking to deepen their understanding of quantum mechanics.

3. What sets "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" apart from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

"Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, its emphasis on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, and its inclusion of modern topics such as quantum information theory and relativistic quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development"?

It is recommended to have a strong background in undergraduate level mathematics, including linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. Some familiarity with classical mechanics and electromagnetism may also be helpful.

5. What are some of the key topics covered in "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development"?

Some of the key topics covered in "Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" include the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, the principles of superposition and entanglement, the uncertainty principle, quantum measurement, and applications to various systems including atoms, molecules, and solids.