Delayed choice quantum eraser experiment in terms of MWI and/or BI

In summary, the conversation revolves around the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment and the different interpretations of quantum mechanics, specifically the many-worlds interpretation (MWI) and the Bohmian interpretation (BI). The person is looking for a step-by-step description of the experiment in terms of MWI or BI, as well as an understanding of how the correlation exists in either case. They mention not having taken any QM courses and appreciate explanations that stick to basic mathematics. They also provide a helpful analogy for those who may not be familiar with QM.
initialMAN
I'm sure there's been a lot of posts on this before, but even after taking a look at some of them, this experiment is still eluding my understanding.
I'm aware that there's no backwards causation--and that the eraser causes interference by random 'categorization'--but I'm nonetheless dissatisfied that I don't have a visual picture of the phenomenon. I know that's it possible to have one through realist interpretations of QM since they (must be) consistent with standard QM equations. Could anyone give me a complete, step-by-step description of the entire standard delayed choice quantum eraser experiment: http://www.bottomlayer.com/bottom/kim-scully/kim-scully-web.htm
in terms of MWI? or perhaps BI--if not MWI, but I'd prefer MWI--including how the correlation exists in either case? I haven't taken any QM courses (and won't be able to for about a year) so I'd greatly appreciate descriptions that don't stray too far past basic mathematics.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know much about QM, you might find this analogy useful:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=7
which is written by having the Bohmian view of quantum mechanics in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment is a thought experiment that explores the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It involves sending a photon through a series of mirrors and detectors, with the ability to change the setup and measure the photon's behavior after it has already passed through the mirrors.

2. How does the experiment relate to Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI)?

In Many-Worlds Interpretation, it is believed that every possible outcome of a quantum measurement exists in a separate parallel universe. The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment supports this theory by showing that the outcome of a measurement can change depending on how the photon is observed, even after it has already passed through the mirrors. This suggests that multiple parallel universes are created based on the different observations of the photon.

3. How does the experiment relate to the Copenhagen Interpretation (CI)?

In Copenhagen Interpretation, it is believed that the act of observation collapses the wave function and determines the outcome of a quantum measurement. The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment challenges this idea by showing that the outcome of a measurement can change depending on how the photon is observed, even after it has already passed through the mirrors. This suggests that the act of observation does not solely determine the outcome of a measurement.

4. What is the significance of the results of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The results of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It challenges the traditional notions of causality and suggests that the future can influence the past. It also supports the idea of multiple parallel universes, as proposed by MWI.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment. However, the insights gained from this thought experiment have contributed to the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also continues to inspire further research and exploration into the mysteries of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality.