String Theory: Understanding Superstring Theory and Its Location

In summary: So, all in all, yes, string theory is saying that everything in the universe is made of vibrating strings.
redhedkangaro
I was wondering if my understanding of string theory was right and if not could someone please correct me.

1.)Is string theory saying that everytrhing in the universe is different vibrating states of one fundamental superstring.

2.) Where is this superstring located?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is called superstring theory since the theory provides supersymmetry (symmetry between fermions and bosons) - i.e. superstring theory is short hand of Supersymmetric String Theory

redhedkangaro said:
I was wondering if my understanding of string theory was right and if not could someone please correct me.

1.)Is string theory saying that everytrhing in the universe is different vibrating states of one fundamental superstring.

2.) Where is this superstring located?
No, string theory says that particles are not really pointlike objects, but objects slightly extended in one dimension. There is no only one string in the universe, but many of them - each elementary particle is actually a little string.

Thanks that helps a lot. Do scientist know where these strings come from, do they arise from a field like particles or...

redhedkangaro said:
Do scientist know where these strings come from, do they arise from a field like particles or...
Are you asking which facts suggested historically the string hypothesis ?

First, the very idea that things are made of vibrating string is fairly old. I think you can easily go back to before we knew even what atoms are. I have vague memories of 19th century models of atoms as knotted objects.

Second, one could argue that it is a natural generalization of quantum field theory of particles. Generally speaking, a particle is a 0 dimensional object. If you have difficulties to construct a consistent theory of 0 dimensional objects, you may want to even try what happens with object of larger dimensions, starting with 1. You would find out that you need to include also other kind of higher dimensional structures, such as branes.

Third, before the advent of QCD there was around the idea that hadrons could be better explained in terms of strings. That was a very promising idea. It met with difficulties around the same time as QCD was understood, but later people realized they could still use it to construct elegant unified models.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the smallest building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How does String Theory relate to Superstring Theory?

Superstring Theory is a specific version of String Theory that states that there are not just one, but multiple dimensions beyond the three we experience in our daily lives. It also incorporates concepts from supersymmetry, which suggests that each particle has a superpartner with different spin.

3. What is meant by the "location" of String Theory?

The location of String Theory refers to the scale at which it operates. It is a theory of quantum gravity, meaning it attempts to reconcile the laws of gravity with those of quantum mechanics. Therefore, it is relevant at the scale of the very small, such as subatomic particles.

4. How does String Theory differ from other theories of physics?

String Theory differs from other theories of physics, such as General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, because it attempts to unify all fundamental forces and particles into one framework. It also suggests that the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

5. Is String Theory a proven theory?

No, String Theory is still a highly debated and speculative theory. While it has gained popularity in recent years, it has not yet been definitively proven through experiments or observations. However, it remains an active area of research and has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.