Translation E>F: Choose One - Quick!

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary, the speaker is in need of a translation for the phrase "choose one" and is seeking advice from Google. They mention that as a developer, they are aware of the many ways to say the same thing in French. They also specify that this is for a Canadian government website and that it is late on a Friday night. The speaker then provides their own suggestion for the translation "veuillez choisir l'une des options suivantes" and admits they are not Canadian. They also mention that there are other missing pieces of copy that need to be addressed before the site's launch on Monday.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Quick! I need a translation for Choose one: (As in: please choose one of the following options)

Google tells me the literal translation is choisir un but that doesn't mean it is semantically correct. (As a developer, I know that the French have 47,000 different ways of saying the same thing.) BTW, this is a Canadian(French) government website.

It's late Friday night and eveyone including the copywriters have gone home and this tidbit of web copy didn't get translated (mostly because I made it up).

Physics news on Phys.org
In french, for "please choose one of the following options", I would use "veuillez choisir l'une des options suivantes". I am not Canadian though.

Thanks.

Bah! I should have known. There's several missing bits of copy. Going to have to catch them in QA. (Tricky, since this site launches Monday AM, come hell or high water.)

What is translation?

Translation is the process of converting written or spoken language from one language to another.

Why is translation important?

Translation is important because it allows for effective communication between speakers of different languages, facilitates global business and trade, and preserves cultural and literary works.

What is the difference between translation and interpretation?

The main difference between translation and interpretation is that translation deals with written communication while interpretation deals with spoken communication.

What are some challenges in translation?

Some challenges in translation include accurately conveying cultural nuances and idiomatic expressions, translating technical or specialized terminology, and dealing with regional dialects.

How can one improve their translation skills?

To improve translation skills, one can practice regularly, stay up-to-date with language usage and terminology, and seek feedback from native speakers or experienced translators. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of both the source and target languages.