Top Canadian grad schools (pure math)?

In summary: I don't have any hard data to back it up.Based on what exactly do you say this? Have you compared the # of published papers from one year to another? The # of papers published in top publications? The # of citations retraceable to the group?Woah I'm just starting my third semester as well, I've never read an academic paper.I'm just restating opinions held by most of the upper years that are in our department. # of papers published, # of citations, etc. I don't have any hard data to back it up.
future_phd
Most people on here are American and so usually most of the talk is about American grad schools, but since I'm Canadian I'm wondering what the best Canadian grad schools are for pure math? And how hard would it be to get into these programs compared to, let's say, the top 10 American Universities?

Physics news on Phys.org
University of Toronto
McGill
University of British Columbia.

Probably in that order. It would be hard to get in, but somewhat easier than the American counterparts. Ie. youd still need virtually As and Bs.

Cool, thanks a bunch!

I know this is a bit off topic but what about german universities? I've heard that Germany is a good alternative to the US for physics and maths.

I definitely wouldn't ignore waterloo for pure math

CaptainQuaser said:
I definitely wouldn't ignore waterloo for pure math

For math? I don't know. Science and engineering yes. Not sure about math.

But how would you know, khemix? Very recently you have started a thread that clearly demonstrates your lack of experience in math, yet here you are dishing out advice about graduate schools?

For what it's worth, Waterloo has an extremely strong combinatorics group and very strong analysis (operator algebras & harmonic analysis) and number theory groups; this is common knowledge in the Canadian mathematics community.

In general I would say that there is no "top" math graduate school, but that instead there are a lot of top people at a lot of different places. So to the original poster I would say: Formulate a list of topics that you have found interesting and could imagine yourself specializing in; then ask around your department to figure out where the "hot spots" for these topics are are. That would result in a much higher quality of feedback than you would obtain from an internet forum such as this.

future_phd how are you doing in the term? I remember your post a while back about being in 2A right now.

What dvs says is right, although I don't think our combinatorics group is as strong as it used to be. Brian Forrest is an extremely approachable person to talk to for pure math questions, he's also quite the analyst.

samspotting said:
future_phd how are you doing in the term? I remember your post a while back about being in 2A right now.

What dvs says is right, although I don't think our combinatorics group is as strong as it used to be. Brian Forrest is an extremely approachable person to talk to for pure math questions, he's also quite the analyst.

Based on what exactly do you say this? Have you compared the # of published papers from one year to another? The # of papers published in top publications? The # of citations retraceable to the group?

Woah I'm just starting my third semester as well, I've never read an academic paper.
I'm just restating opinions held by most of the upper years that are in our department.

1. What are the top Canadian grad schools for pure math?

The top Canadian grad schools for pure math are the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, the University of Waterloo, the University of Alberta, and McGill University.

2. What makes these schools the top choices for pure math?

These schools are known for their strong math departments, with top-notch faculty and research opportunities. They also have a history of producing successful graduates in the field of pure math.

3. Are these schools difficult to get into?

Yes, these schools are highly competitive and have rigorous admissions processes. It is important to have a strong academic background and impressive research experience to have a chance at being accepted.

4. Do these schools offer funding for grad students in pure math?

Yes, all of these schools offer funding opportunities for graduate students in pure math. This can include scholarships, fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of these schools in the field of pure math?

Graduates from these top Canadian grad schools in pure math have a wide range of career options, including academia, research, and industry. They are highly sought after for their analytical and problem-solving skills, and have a strong foundation for pursuing advanced degrees or jobs in various industries.