How Is Electrical Permittivity Defined Mathematically Without Using Curls?

In summary: This is done by making the medium have a certain number of ions in it. This number is called the dielectric constant. The dielectric constant is a measure of how much energy is stored in the medium. Permittivity is also a measure of how good a material is at storing electric charges. It affects how well electric fields can penetrate a material. It also affects the speed of light in a material. Lastly, permittivity affects how well a material can store magnetic fields. This is because it affects the polarization of the molecules.
dE_logics
Electrical permittivity...in mathematical terms, i.e I need the derivation...WITHOUT using 'curls'.

Didn't find it online.

Physics news on Phys.org
The permittivity of a medium is a constant that is connected to the electrical properties of that medium.Amongst other places it appears in Coulombs law and along with permittivity( a magnetic constant ) the formula for the speed of light.

Dadface said:
The permittivity of a medium is a constant that is connected to the electrical properties of that medium.Amongst other places it appears in Coulombs law and along with permittivity**( a magnetic constant ) the formula for the speed of light.

In mks units, the capacitance of a rectangular capacitor of relative permittivity e, separation d, and area A is

C = e e0 A/d Farads

where e is relative permittivity (unitless)
e0 is the permittivity of free space, 8.85 x 10-12 Farads per meter.

**The magnetic constant is permeability.

Bob S said:
In mks units, the capacitance of a rectangular capacitor of relative permittivity e, separation d, and area A is

C = e e0 A/d Farads

where e is relative permittivity (unitless)
e0 is the permittivity of free space, 8.85 x 10-12 Farads per meter.

**The magnetic constant is permeability.

Thank you Bob I got my mittivity mixed up with eability.I would blame it on the beer but I haven't had one yet.

I'm asking the derivation of permittivity, not relative.And pls explain a bit of theory also.

What do you mean derivation? I'm not aware of any derivation of permittivity or permeability from first principles, at least not classically. The two are constants. Permittivity can be thought of as describing the capacitance of the medium. Even vacuum can be thought of as having a capacitance. In a material, the permittivity describes the ability to store extra energy. This is done by polarizing the molecules in the material. The induced dipoles allow you to store more energy in the material.

In my opinion, permittivity can be defined as the ability of a medium to allow conductors at an electric potential to accumulate electrical charges on it's surface.

1. What is permittivity?

Permittivity is a physical property that measures the ability of a material to store electric charge in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

2. How is permittivity related to capacitance?

Permittivity is directly related to capacitance. It is a measure of how much charge a material can hold in an electric field, and capacitance is a measure of how much charge a capacitor can hold. The higher the permittivity, the higher the capacitance.

3. What factors affect permittivity?

The two main factors that affect permittivity are the type of material and the presence of an external electric field. Different materials have different permittivity values, and the strength of the electric field can also impact the permittivity of a material.

4. How does permittivity impact the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

Permittivity plays a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It determines the speed at which the waves travel through a material and also affects how much the waves are attenuated. High permittivity materials can slow down and absorb electromagnetic waves, while low permittivity materials allow for faster and less attenuated wave propagation.

5. Why is permittivity important in electronic devices?

Permittivity is important in electronic devices because it affects the performance and design of these devices. The choice of materials with specific permittivity values can impact the capacitance and signal propagation in circuits, while also affecting the efficiency and speed of electronic components.