Solving N-dipole Problem in the Heart: How to Calculate Potential Fields

• Thread starter Carl140
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem in electrodynamics applied to medical physics, specifically involving n-dipoles with constant dipolar moments located in the ventricular tissue of the heart. The question asks for an expression to describe the potential field generated by these dipoles and suggests a possible solution involving summing up individual dipole potentials and using an appropriate coordinate system.
Carl140
I have been trying to solve this problem without any success. Not homework, just curious how to solve this, I'm trying to deduce physical models. Honestly I have no idea
how to attack it, so I'd really appreciate if you could please provide some help.

This is electrodynamics applied to medical physics.

Suppose n-dipoles are colocated in the ventricular tissue of the heart with a certain
fixed horizontal depth, which we denote by x.
Assume all these n-dipoles have constant dipolar moment, i.e they are continuously distributed. Now imagine a system of coordinates and suppose the n-dipoles are located at the points (x,y) where x is the fixed horizontal depth and y is the height (vertical distance between the dipoles), y is varying.

How would you write the expression that describes the potential field generated by these n- dipoles? under the assumptions previously mentioned.

I know it's an integral, but don't know how to attack this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
at large distances you can just sum up all the dipole moments and treat it as one big dipole, i think.. Maybe you could just calculate the potential of each dipole and then sum up all the individual solutions, choosing an appropiate coordinate system (you could let a computer do this for you).

The potential field generated by n-dipoles in the heart can be described by the superposition of the individual potential fields generated by each dipole. This can be written as an integral over the entire distribution of dipoles, with each dipole contributing to the overall potential field based on its position and dipole moment.

To calculate this potential field, you can use the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at any point is equal to the sum of the potentials generated by each individual dipole. This can be expressed mathematically as:

Φ(x,y) = Σ Φi(x,y)

Where Φ(x,y) is the total potential at a point (x,y) and Φi(x,y) is the potential generated by the individual dipole at that point.

To calculate the potential generated by a single dipole, you can use the formula:

Φi(x,y) = k * (p * cosθ)/r^2

Where k is a constant, p is the dipole moment, θ is the angle between the dipole and the point (x,y), and r is the distance between the dipole and the point (x,y).

To calculate the total potential field at a point, you can integrate this formula over the entire distribution of dipoles, with each dipole contributing to the overall potential field based on its position and dipole moment. The integral can be written as:

Φ(x,y) = ∫∫ k * (p * cosθ)/r^2 dx dy

Where the limits of integration are determined by the distribution of dipoles.

I hope this helps you in solving the n-dipole problem in the heart. Remember to always consider the assumptions and limitations of your model when interpreting the results.

1. What is the N-dipole problem in the heart?

The N-dipole problem in the heart refers to the challenge of accurately calculating the potential fields generated by multiple electric dipoles within the heart. These dipoles represent the electrical activity of the heart muscle cells, and their combined fields can be difficult to accurately measure and interpret.

2. Why is solving the N-dipole problem important?

Solving the N-dipole problem is crucial for understanding the electrical activity of the heart and diagnosing potential heart conditions. By accurately calculating the potential fields, scientists and doctors can identify abnormalities and disturbances in the heart's electrical signals, which can help in the diagnosis and treatment of heart diseases.

3. What are the current methods for solving the N-dipole problem?

Currently, there are two main methods for solving the N-dipole problem: the dipole source method and the boundary element method. The dipole source method uses mathematical equations to calculate the potential fields, while the boundary element method uses numerical techniques to model the heart's geometry and calculate the fields from there.

4. What challenges are faced when solving the N-dipole problem?

There are several challenges in solving the N-dipole problem, such as the complex geometry of the heart, the varying strength and orientation of the electric dipoles, and the presence of other electrical sources in the body. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as the resolution of the measurements and the assumptions made in the calculation methods.

5. How can the accuracy of N-dipole problem solutions be improved?

The accuracy of N-dipole problem solutions can be improved by using advanced mathematical and numerical techniques, improving the resolution and quality of measurements, and incorporating more realistic models of the heart's geometry and electric dipoles. Additionally, further research and advancements in technology can also contribute to improving the accuracy of the solutions.