Electrostatic Field concept question

In summary, the question asks for the electric field that will balance the weight of a ping pong ball with a conducting graphite coating and a charge of -4 microC. The equation qE = mg can be used to find the magnitude of the electric field. The direction of the electric field should be opposite to the direction of gravity (upwards) to move the charge upwards. This is based on the concept that electric fields move from positive to negative, so a negative charge will move towards the positive side.
physics213

Homework Statement

A ping pong ball covered with a conducting graphite coating has a mass .005 kg and a charge -4 microC. What electric field will exactly balance the weight of the ball?

Homework Equations

qE = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the magnitude of the electric field using the equation above. I just don't understand the conceptual part of this question: Which way is the electric field going (up or down)? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
since weight acts downwards, I'd assume the electric field move the charge upwards.

It would have to act parallel and in the opposite direction to the force of gravity.

well another similar problem had the electric field pointing downward with the particle having a negative charge.

physics213 said:
well another similar problem had the electric field pointing downward with the particle having a negative charge.

So which way will the electric field point to move the -4uC charge upwards?

rock.freak667 said:
So which way will the electric field point to move the -4uC charge upwards?

I would assume upwards but I'm not really sure. This seems like a really simple concept but i can't figure it out.

physics213 said:
I would assume upwards but I'm not really sure. This seems like a really simple concept but i can't figure it out.

Electric fields move from positive to negative. So if you place a negative charge in that field, it will move towards the positive side.

1. What is an electrostatic field?

An electrostatic field is a type of electric field that is created by stationary electric charges. It is a force field that extends around a charged object and can interact with other charged objects or particles within its range.

2. How is an electrostatic field different from a magnetic field?

An electrostatic field is created by and interacts with stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by and interacts with moving electric charges. Additionally, electrostatic fields have a different type of force (electric force) compared to magnetic fields (magnetic force).

3. What are the units of measurement for an electrostatic field?

The units of measurement for an electrostatic field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system and volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system. These units represent the force per unit charge that is exerted by the electrostatic field.

4. How is the strength of an electrostatic field determined?

The strength of an electrostatic field is determined by the magnitude of the electric charge that creates the field and the distance from the charge. The farther away an object is from the source of the field, the weaker the field becomes.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic fields?

Electrostatic fields have many practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators used to remove particles from air pollution, in photocopiers and laser printers to transfer toner onto paper, and in air filters and ionizers used to purify air. They are also used in electrostatic painting, electrostatic generators, and in some medical procedures such as electrostatic discharge therapy.