Proposal Writing for Graduate School: Supervisor References

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding good references for writing proposals for faculty supervisors when applying for graduate school. The person asking for help has not been able to find any references and is looking for advice on how to structure their proposal. Another person in the conversation has written such proposals before but does not have any references to share. They suggest looking at previous proposals as a template. The conversation ends with the person asking for help expressing their gratitude for any assistance.
Nusc
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you know of good references for writing proposals for faculty supervisors in applying for graduate school.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone here done such?

I've written such proposals. I don't have any references though. I think the best thing you can do is get a hold of others that have been written in previous years and use them as a template for your own ideas.

If you've written such proposals, can you give me a detailed outline on what I should talk about?

Every graduate student that I know closely have spoke to their supervisors informally.

Any help would much appreciated.

What is the purpose of a supervisor reference in a graduate school proposal?

A supervisor reference is a letter written by a current or former supervisor of the applicant, which provides insights into the applicant's work ethic, academic potential, and personal qualities. It serves as a validation of the applicant's qualifications and can greatly impact the admission decision of the graduate school.

How do I choose the right supervisor to write my reference?

It is important to choose a supervisor who is familiar with your work, whether it be from a previous job, internship, or research project. Ideally, the supervisor should also have a positive opinion of your skills and be able to provide specific examples of your strengths and accomplishments. It is also important to choose a supervisor who can write well and meet the submission deadline.

What should be included in a supervisor reference?

A supervisor reference should include an introduction of the supervisor, their relationship to the applicant, and the length of time they have known the applicant. It should also highlight the applicant's strengths, skills, and accomplishments, and provide specific examples to support these claims. The reference should also address the applicant's potential for success in graduate school and any other relevant information that may be helpful for the admission committee.

How should I approach my supervisor to request a reference?

It is important to approach your supervisor with professionalism and respect. Schedule a meeting to discuss your graduate school plans and ask if they would be willing to write a reference for you. Be prepared to provide them with a copy of your resume, transcripts, and any other relevant materials. It is also important to give your supervisor enough time to write the reference, so plan accordingly and follow up with them if necessary.

Is it appropriate to ask for a copy of my supervisor reference?

It is generally not appropriate to ask for a copy of your supervisor reference as it may be seen as intrusive or manipulative. However, it is acceptable to ask your supervisor if they would like you to provide any additional information or materials that may help them write a stronger reference. If you are concerned about the content of your reference, it is best to address this with your supervisor directly before they submit it.