A Coloring Book for Young Physicists.

In summary, this book is an interesting introduction to Classical Mechanics, but may not be what you are looking for if you are looking for a more rigorous book.
nassboy
Has anybody had the change to read, "Hamiltonian and Lagrangian Mechanics A Coloring Book for Young Physicists." by Jame Curry?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1420858564/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It looks interesting, but there aren't many reviews on amazon yet.

I'm looking for something a little easier than SICM or Goldstein. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd rather like to know as well.

So,

bump.

I am going to buy this book, it looks promising. It seems to proved Classical Mechanics from a geometric viewpoint.

This has been done before, but many times failed to be clear(Jose, Saletan) maybe this is better. I'll see.

Well this book is a very particular one. It really depends on your style.
There are 21 chapters 6 of which are a very basic mathematical introduction in linear algebra, functional analysis, manifolds and so on. I personally like it.
However this book might not be what you expected if you are looking for a geometry oriented book. In fact it's geometrical character lies in that the author tries to explain things by using pictures and sometimes makes you imagine things. For example an exercise in the manifolds section makes you imagine a classroom and then connect it's walls to make a closed manifold in which you apear from one side to the other. I think it's an interesting book but you should definitely see it personally before you buy it.

I would also like to know if anybody has an extended opinion of this text. I have checked it out of the library, but don't want to waste my time if there is a better introductory text available. I am needing to teach myself Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics in preparation for QFT, and this book looked promising as an introduction, but I'm a little worried about it being too simplified. Also, I'm disappointed in the book's production, as I am almost positive the author used Microsoft Word to typeset the book. This makes for inconsistent notation and a very high school teacher-like reading experience so far.

1. How can a coloring book teach physics?

A coloring book can teach physics by using visuals and interactive activities to explain complex concepts in a fun and engaging way. It can also help children develop critical thinking skills by encouraging them to apply their knowledge in the coloring process.

2. What age range is the coloring book suitable for?

The coloring book is suitable for young physicists aged 5-10 years old. However, it can also be used by older children and even adults who are interested in learning or reviewing basic physics concepts.

3. Are the concepts presented in the coloring book accurate?

Yes, the concepts presented in the coloring book are accurate and based on scientific principles. They have been simplified and presented in a way that is easy for young children to understand.

4. Is the coloring book suitable for classroom use?

Yes, the coloring book can be used in a classroom setting to supplement traditional teaching methods. It can also be used as a fun and educational activity for students during science lessons or as part of a physics curriculum.

5. What topics are covered in the coloring book?

The coloring book covers a wide range of physics topics, including motion, energy, forces, light, sound, electricity, and magnetism. It also includes fun facts and experiments related to each topic to further enhance the learning experience.