Kinetic friction along a curve (Basic Calculus Question)

In summary, the author claims that the product rule can be used to calculate the energy that is lost due to friction.
RoyalCat
A mass [tex]m[/tex] is traveling inside a horizontal circular tube of radius [tex]r[/tex], starting with an initial velocity [tex]v_0[/tex]
There is friction between the outer wall of the tube and the mass (Friction between the floor and the mass is negligible)

EDIT:
What is the mass' velocity as a function of the distance it's traveled [tex]v(s)[/tex]
(Sorry for the confusion if anyone happened to read what was written here earlier)

This is a problem that is listed as a solved example in my book, so I only really needs help with one little calculus step.

The first solution is an energy-based one.
The initial energy of the mass is [tex]\tfrac{1}{2}mv_0^2[/tex]
The friction force acting on the mass : [tex]f_{friction}=\mu N= \mu \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

At the limit of a very small fraction of the distance along the curve, [tex]S[/tex], the force is constant, and so the work of friction along that distance is:
[tex]dW_f=\mu\frac{mv^2}{r}\,dS[/tex]
This quantity is also equal to the kinetic energy lost by the mass due to friction.
[tex]\mu\frac{mv^2}{r}\,dS=-dE_k=-d(\tfrac{1}{2}mv^2})[/tex]

Now according to the book: [tex]-d(\tfrac{1}{2}mv^2})=-mv\,dv[/tex]
Now I can see why that's true, an integration of that expression over [tex]dv[/tex] would provide us with the infinitesimal difference in kinetic energy, but I'm really have trouble understanding what the author did here to reach his conclusion, and why it is valid.
If anyone's got a webpage explaining switching between integrands (At least that's what I think it's called) I'll gladly read up on the link.

With thanks in advance,
Anatoli

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without reference to kinetic energy, this is an application of the "product rule"

d(v2)=d(v*v) = vdv+vdv = 2vdv.

Ooh, thanks for giving me the exact name, I've struck up on some webpages I think will help me.
Thanks again. :)

Hurr, would I be correct to think of it as doing the following? :
[tex]d(\tfrac{1}{2}v^2)=\frac{d(\tfrac{1}{2}v^2)}{dv}\, dv=v\, dv[/tex]

Is that a use for the product rule as well? I'm having a hard time finding the [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex] in there. what exactly is my [tex]dx[/tex]? Can it be just 1? And if so, how should I write it?

I've never had a class in integrals, so I'm just piece-mealing it from different physics questions I've solved, so forgive my ignorance. :uhh:

Last edited:

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and moving relative to that surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and attempting to be put into motion. Kinetic friction is generally lower than static friction.

3. How do you calculate kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula F = μkN, where F is the force of friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

4. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is dependent on the materials of the two surfaces and their roughness.

5. How does kinetic friction vary along a curve?

Kinetic friction can vary along a curve depending on the angle of the curve and the direction of motion. Generally, kinetic friction will be higher on curves with sharper angles and lower on curves with gentler angles.