Functional analysis textbook recommendation needed

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is looking for a functional analysis textbook and has an interest in Hilbert spaces and their connections to quantum field theory and quantum mechanics. Some recommendations given include "Methods of modern mathematical physics" by Reed&Simon, Kreyszig's functional analysis book, and "Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis" by Kolmogorov.
wasia
Could any of you recommend a functional analysis textbook?

I have looked at "Methods of modern mathematical physics" by Reed&Simon, but they assume a pure-maths BSc background, thus this book is not ideal for me. About my background: I have an Applied Physics BSc and starting a Theoretical Physics master program with emphasis on strings and QFT.

Mostly I am interested in Hilbert spaces, as well as other things that have (possibly indirect) connections to quantum field theory/quantum mechanics, such as Banach spaces, topological spaces or operators.

Physics news on Phys.org
I second Kreyszig's functional analysis book. I actually plan to go through it myself soon. Another introductory book that I found when searching for this topic is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486406830/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Kolmogorov and Fomin. It is much cheaper than Kreysig's book, although from browsing through Kreyszig's book, he was very clear, gave good proofs, and had lots of examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
I third Kreyszig's functional analysis book. It was the text for a course I took as an undergrad.

Kolmogorov's Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis, is one of the best mathematical texts I have. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it.(It's also cheap! $11)

It is a rigorous but enjoyable read. I am currently reading it out of pleasure.

It takes you from set theory to Abstract Hilbert Spaces.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the replies.

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear operators. It is used to study the properties of functions and their behavior in a given space.

2. Why is a textbook recommendation needed for functional analysis?

A textbook recommendation is helpful for those who are new to the subject or looking for a different perspective. Functional analysis can be a complex subject, and a good textbook can provide clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to aid in understanding.

3. What should be considered when selecting a functional analysis textbook?

When selecting a functional analysis textbook, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the style of writing, the topics covered, and the availability of additional resources such as practice problems or online support. Additionally, it may be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other experts in the field.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in functional analysis?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks for beginners in functional analysis, such as "Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications" by Erwin Kreyszig and "A Course in Functional Analysis" by John B. Conway. These textbooks are known for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

5. Can functional analysis textbooks be used for self-study?

Yes, functional analysis textbooks can be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and real analysis, before attempting to study functional analysis on your own. It is also recommended to supplement the textbook with additional resources and seek guidance from a mentor or tutor if needed.