Good books for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class?

In summary, the conversation is about book recommendations for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class. The recommended text, Quantum mechanics by Franz Mandl, has mixed reviews and some people find it dry. The person asking for recommendations is looking for a book with an informal style that can be read cover to cover, similar to Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics. They are considering Griffiths introduction to quantum mechanics, but are unsure if it covers everything needed for a 3rd year course. BenShankar is suggested as a potential option with an informal style and being advanced enough for a 3rd year course.
Kalvarin
Hey all,

Can anybody recommend any good books for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class? The recommended text is Quantum mechanics by Franz Mandl but on the reviews some ppl say it is very dry. I'm looking for a book with an informal style that i can read cover to cover like Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics. I was wondering about Griffiths introduction to quantum mechanics but not sure if it covers everything needed for a 3 year class?

Any help is appreciated.

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Shankar has an informal style and should be advanced enough for a 3rd year course.

Thanks, i will check it out :)

1. What are the key concepts covered in a 3rd year quantum mechanics class?

A 3rd year quantum mechanics class typically covers advanced topics such as wave-particle duality, quantum entanglement, quantum measurement, and quantum computing.

2. What are some good introductory textbooks for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class?

Some popular textbooks for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class include "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. T. Griffiths, and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J. J. Sakurai and Jim Napolitano.

3. Are there any online resources or lecture notes that can supplement a 3rd year quantum mechanics class?

Yes, there are many online resources and lecture notes available for a 3rd year quantum mechanics class. Some popular ones include MIT's OpenCourseWare, Stanford's Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers, and the University of Cambridge's Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians.

4. How can I improve my understanding of quantum mechanics beyond what is taught in class?

One way to improve your understanding of quantum mechanics is to practice solving problems and applying the concepts learned in class. You can also read additional textbooks or research articles on specific topics that interest you.

5. Are there any online communities or forums where I can discuss quantum mechanics with other students and experts?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums dedicated to discussing quantum mechanics, such as Physics Forums, Stack Exchange, and the Quantum Mechanics subreddit. These platforms allow you to ask questions, share insights, and engage in discussions with other students and experts in the field.