How difficult to build a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

In summary, charging a lithium-ion battery involves using a constant current until a certain voltage is reached, according to the manufacturer's specifications. There are already ICs available for common lithium-ion battery types. One such chip is National Semiconductor's LM3622 Li-Ion Battery Charger Controller chip, which can be used for a USB-based lithium-ion battery charger circuit. However, it is important to be cautious when charging these batteries, as they can be dangerous. Some lithium-ion batteries also come with a built-in charging and protection circuit.
Galteeth
Not asking for a schematic, more a notion of roughly how challenging this will be.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read a bit on wikipedia, and it doesn't seem that hard. You charge with a constant current which depends on the battery type until you hit a certain voltage according to the manufacturer's specs around 4.2V per cell, which you hold until there is almost no more current. Does that sound complicated to you? I am sure that there are already ICs available for common Li-battery types.

0xDEADBEEF said:
I read a bit on wikipedia, and it doesn't seem that hard. You charge with a constant current which depends on the battery type until you hit a certain voltage according to the manufacturer's specs around 4.2V per cell, which you hold until there is almost no more current. Does that sound complicated to you? I am sure that there are already ICs available for common Li-battery types.
National has a chip. Look up National Semiconductor’s LM3622 Li-Ion
Battery Charger Controller chip. See also
http://www.national.com/appbriefs/files/AppBrief101.pdf
for a USB-based lithium ion battery charger circuit.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob S said:
Bob S

Interesting thanks. With the chip it seems easy enough.

Bob S said:
Bob S

And I would note that you can buy LI Ion batteries on the internet that have a charging/protection circuit built into the end of the battery (I think they are AA cells) which simplifies charging circuits.

BAAADDD IDEA! Charging these beasts is dangerous as it is. I don't mean to be overcautious but I've had one explode in my backyard and it's very dangerous.

Charging these batteries is easier than charging NiMh or NiCad's. I think it would be farly straight farward to detect when charging is completed as there is a very noticable change.

1. How do I determine the appropriate voltage and current for my DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

The appropriate voltage and current for a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger will depend on the specific battery you are trying to charge. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for your battery and choose a charger that is capable of providing the correct voltage and current.

2. What safety precautions should I take when building a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

Safety should always be a top priority when working with lithium ion batteries. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and work in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, be sure to follow all instructions carefully and use high-quality materials to reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

3. Can I use a universal charger for my DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

No, it is not recommended to use a universal charger for a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger. These types of chargers are not designed specifically for lithium ion batteries and may not provide the correct voltage and current, which can be dangerous for the battery and potentially cause damage.

4. Can I use a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger for other types of batteries?

No, a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger is specifically designed for charging lithium ion batteries. Attempting to use it with other types of batteries, such as lead acid or nickel cadmium, can be dangerous and potentially damage the battery or the charger.

5. What is the cost and time commitment for building a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger?

The cost and time commitment for building a DIY Lithium Ion Battery Charger will vary depending on the materials and tools you use. However, it is important to remember that safety should always be a top priority and using high-quality materials may increase the cost. Additionally, the time it takes to build the charger will depend on your level of experience with electronics and the complexity of the design.