EM Calculus Struggles? Get Help Here!

• Thread starter DReicht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em
In summary: , in summary, the author is having difficulty with the material and recommends using a different text or website.
DReicht
I'm having a lot of trouble with basic EM (calculus based) because for some reason, the material simply isn't clicking with me. We're using Ohanian/Markert's Physics for Scientists and Engineers and I'm finding it to be very lacking. I'm wondering if anyone has any better alternative suggestions for resources, technical ones that is.

Thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics: Volume 2 is pretty good as far as introductory texts goes.

I'll make the obligatory recommendation for Griffiths.

You may want to take a look at Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell.

LewisEE said:
I'll make the obligatory recommendation for Griffiths.

For introductory E&M? I think not...

Landau said:
You may want to take a look at Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell.

Maybe, although this text (especially the problems) are at a pretty advanced mathematical level. It's quite a rigorous introduction to E&M, which is probably not what the OP wants...

So, I second Halliday and Resnick.

I will be yet another person to recommend Halliday and Resnick. I have the 3rd edition which I think is quite good (not familiar with other editions) - I would guess used copies can be found for very little money.

I agree with Nabeshin 100%. Griffiths is really for an upper division EM course - a second course in EM. Purcell is great once you know EM, but is terrible to learn from if it is your first time seeing this material. When I first learned EM it was from Purcell and it was much more painful than is required to get a good grasp of EM. He leaves out a lot of intermediate results that both Griffiths and Halliday and Resnick derive for the reader; Purcell assumes you will derive these yourself in the course of solving the problems. I started liking Purcell after intermediate EM, and loved it after graduate EM.

Good luck!

jason

1. What is EM Calculus and why is it important?

EM Calculus, also known as electromagnetic calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of calculus in the study of electromagnetism. It is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications.

2. What are the common struggles students face when learning EM Calculus?

Some common struggles students face when learning EM Calculus include understanding the underlying concepts, applying calculus techniques in problem-solving, and visualizing electromagnetic fields.

3. How can I improve my understanding and performance in EM Calculus?

One way to improve your understanding and performance in EM Calculus is to practice regularly and seek help from experienced tutors or study groups. Additionally, reviewing basic calculus concepts and making connections to real-world applications can also help improve your understanding.

4. Are there any helpful resources available for students struggling with EM Calculus?

Yes, there are many helpful resources available for students struggling with EM Calculus. These include online tutorials, practice problems, study guides, and textbooks. You can also seek help from your professor, teaching assistants, or tutoring centers at your university.

5. Can I get professional help for my EM Calculus struggles?

Yes, there are many professional tutors and online tutoring services that specialize in helping students with their EM Calculus struggles. These tutors can provide personalized support and guidance to help you improve your understanding and performance in EM Calculus.