Self-learners tend to be INTPs

• Thread starter vectorcube
  • Start date
In summary: Meyers-Briggs isn't a test of learning style. It is a test of how people interact with others, and typically used to help determine team assignments or provide guidance for leadership approaches. Nothing about it would tell you if someone is a...self-learner.In summary, people who learn best are typically intp and most commonly use myer briggs personality types.
vectorcube
Part A:
Some people have this great love to learn everything. I know a math MA that studies relativity books for fun. A philosophy major that wants to study math so that he can learn about Godel ` s theorm. I know a girl that loves to cook, and she read every cock book, and try every recipe. I remember reading about James C. Maxwell study a whole bunch of mathematics in college from library books by himself. I also read in the biography that Einstein, and Newton were largely self-thought themselves their subject. Newton largely self-taught himself greek geometry in order to understand Descartes, and Kelper. Einstein self-taught himself classical electrodynamic theory because it was not taught in the university. They cannot be majority of the population.

Part B:
I try to look for profiles and classification of different personality types. What i found is that "myer briggs personality types" is most commonly used in personality tests by psychologists, and in carreer accessment tests. I am at all saying people can be classified. I am saying many people use it, so there might be some merits to the system.
You can find information here: http://typelogic.com/index.html

Part C:
Of the different profiles in the above link. I try to find the type that most fit lifetime learners, and this type is INTP.Of the reasons that make me think self-learners tend to be INTP are the following descriptions of INTP:

"Report 3 to 9 hours a week of non-required serious reading"( http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...non+required+reading&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

"The INTP is a relentless learner in areas that hold his or her interest. They often seem 'lost in thought,' and this characteristic appears very early. INTPs enjoy the life of the mind and the learning process, regardless of whether that process takes place in a formal sense. They are often characterized as life-long learners." ( http://community.livejournal.com/jmbt_intp/141558.html)

Here is my argument:

1) The observation that there are many self-learners ( part A).

2) People can be categories by myer briggs personality types, therefore, INTP is a valid category ( part B).

3) MB intp descriptions tend to fit the profile of self-learners. (past C).

4) Self-learning tend to be most common in one of the M.B type, INTP( 1&3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if people disagree with the Meyers-Briggs assessment? I have actually been through the real assessment, twice. My former employer made it mandatory for management employees. I scored differently each time. Basically, the mood you are in can change how you answer the questions. But it's not a bad assessment. My company did it mainly as part of a series of "fun" things they did for us. I think DISC is just as accurate, which I've also been through. I also scored differently each time I took it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISC_assessment

Evo said:
Are you asking if people disagree with the Meyers-Briggs assessment? I have actually been through the real assessment, twice. My former employer made it mandatory for management employees. I scored differently each time. Basically, the mood you are in can change how you answer the questions. But it's not a bad assessment. My company did it mainly as part of a series of "fun" things they did for us. I think DISC is just as accurate, which I've also been through. I also scored differently each time I took it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISC_assessment

I've had the same experience with the Meyers-Briggs test, but I don't think I've never had a "real" one. I, too, took it at a former workplace...wish I could remember if an actual psychologist gave it, but it was 20 years ago ( )

Usually my result is INTP, though.

lisab said:
I've had the same experience with the Meyers-Briggs test, but I don't think I've never had a "real" one. I, too, took it at a former workplace...wish I could remember if an actual psychologist gave it, but it was 20 years ago ( )

Usually my result is INTP, though.
We had a thread a few years back where people could do an "online" version of it, and most people here scored either INTP or INTJ, IIRC.

Evo said:
Are you asking if people disagree with the Meyers-Briggs assessment?

No. I am saying self-learners tend to be intp( if Intp as a category is valid).

vectorcube said:
So, that's it? I should close the thread now?

vectorcube said:

Meyers-Briggs isn't a test of learning style. It is a test of how people interact with others, and typically used to help determine team assignments or provide guidance for leadership approaches. Nothing about it would tell you if someone is a self-learner.

I'm either ENTP or INTP.

Two tests gave me two results, as Evo said mood can alter the result.
Reading the descriptions i'd say i'd class myself as ENTP though.

Moonbear said:
Meyers-Briggs isn't a test of learning style. It is a test of how people interact with others, and typically used to help determine team assignments or provide guidance for leadership approaches.
How are the team assignments or leadership approaches for the different types determined? When I previously did the test the INFJ profile rolled out, which I can identify with. I'd be interested to know what kind of assignment/leadership advice would be given in my case.

Evo said:
So, that's it? I should close the thread now?

Now, i gave a very detail account, and justification for why "self-learners tend to be INTP".

claim: self-learners tend to be INTP

This is significant in the following way:

Saying someone is a "self-learner" does not by itself give us much insight into the person. If the claim is true, then we do know something about someone who is a "self-learner", because we can look up the profiles of an intp, and read literatures for this particular personality type. This is signifcant, because it tells us the motivation, tendency of a person that is group as a self-learner. Now, this information is quite good. Knowing this allow you to pick out someone who is nerdy, and predict his` s motivation.

Last edited:
Meyers-Briggs gave me INTJ the first time I took it (many years ago), and ENTJ the second time (still many years ago), and most recently it just shouted "RAVENCLAW!" as soon as I sat down...which is great, because that's what I was really hoping for.

I think the lesson here is that self-determination is the deciding factor.

Monique said:
How are the team assignments or leadership approaches for the different types determined? When I previously did the test the INFJ profile rolled out, which I can identify with. I'd be interested to know what kind of assignment/leadership advice would be given in my case.

My recollection from when I took one years ago was that the ideal team uses a mix of the different types, so you have balance. In terms of leadership, it's more knowing that other people have different styles, so don't expect everyone to respond to things the same way you do. I don't know about any specific advice, I just remember the part about balancing the teams.

Moonbear said:
Meyers-Briggs isn't a test of learning style. It is a test of how people interact with others, and typically used to help determine team assignments or provide guidance for leadership approaches. Nothing about it would tell you if someone is a self-learner.

1) My claim is that self-learners "tend" to be Intp.

2) The converse need not be true. That is, an intp need not be a self-learner.

1 is supported by the op.

2 is not supported by the op.

vectorcube said:
1) My claim is that self-learners "tend" to be Intp.

2) The converse need not be true. That is, an intp need not tend to be a self-learner.

1 is supported by the op.

2 is not supported by the op.

You have no evidence, and we're refuting your OP because of lack of evidence and lack of properly using Meyers-Briggs assessments.

DarrenM said:
Meyers-Briggs gave me INTJ the first time I took it (many years ago), and ENTJ the second time (still many years ago), and most recently it just shouted "RAVENCLAW!" as soon as I sat down...which is great, because that's what I was really hoping for.

I think the lesson here is that self-determination is the deciding factor.

Perhaps you should be accessed by a professional.

What is your point vectortube? It's just people answering a questionaire.

Moonbear said:
You have no evidence, and we're refuting your OP because of lack of evidence and lack of properly using Meyers-Briggs assessments.

Ok, my argument is:

2) People can be categories by myer briggs personality types, therefore, INTP is a valid category ( part B).

3) MB intp descriptions tend to fit the profile of self-learners. (past C, and 2).

My conclusion is 4, which depends on 1, and 3. 3 depends on part C and 2.

If you reject 4, then you have to reject some premise from 1 to 3. Which premise do you reject?

vectorcube said:
Ok, my argument is:

My conclusion is 4, which depends on 1, and 3. 3 depends on part C and 2.

If you reject 4, then you have to reject some premise from 1 to 3. Which premise do you reject?
OY.

Post the scientific study of the test takers to support your conclusions.

Evo said:
What is your point vectortube? It's just people answering a questionaire.

My own feeling is that people can be grouped into types. Each type is distinct, and that they are objective categories. This is the same as saying a proton is massless, or that pi is 3.14159...

vectorcube said:
My own feeling is that people can be grouped into types. Each type is distinct, and objective. This is the same as saying a proton is massless, or that pi is 3.14259.
Anyone can group anything into any group based on any criteria. What is your point?

Evo said:
OY.

Post the scientific study of the test takers to support your conclusions.

I don ` t have any tho.

What i have is a set of reasonable premises that if they are true, then it would lead to a true conclusion. So if we are confidence about the premises, p1, p2, p3... pn, and we are confident that they lead to conclusion C.

That is:
P1
p2
p3
pn
----------------
C

If some one is to reject C, then by logic alone.

At least one of the the premises is false.

Moonbear said:
My recollection from when I took one years ago was that the ideal team uses a mix of the different types, so you have balance. In terms of leadership, it's more knowing that other people have different styles, so don't expect everyone to respond to things the same way you do. I don't know about any specific advice, I just remember the part about balancing the teams.
Ok, that makes sense. Not too long ago we had a team-building lab outing, which involved building things and cooperating to come to a solution. It was for fun, so the people who organized the outing didn't plan time to hear the evaluation part :rolleyes: Too bad, because I really would have wanted to hear it. The person who was overseeing our activities was standing along the side-line observing us with big eyes of amazement, it was clear that he had things to say. We did have a very brief chat afterwards and the main comment was we didn't respect each others styles.

Evo said:
Anyone can group anything into any group based on any criteria. What is your point?

My point is that if you take 1 to 3 as reasonable, then 4 follows.

3) MB intp descriptions tend to fit the profile of self-learners. (past C, and 2).

Well, this went nowhere quick.

What does it mean for someone to be a self-learner?

Being a self-learner means that an individual takes responsibility for their own learning and seeks out knowledge and skills on their own, rather than relying solely on formal education or instruction from others.

What is an INTP?

INTP stands for Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving. It is one of the 16 personality types identified by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INTPs are known for their logical thinking, curiosity, and independent nature.

Is there evidence to support the claim that self-learners tend to be INTPs?

There is some evidence to suggest that INTPs may be more likely to engage in self-directed learning. However, it is important to note that there are many factors that contribute to an individual's learning style and personality, and being an INTP does not automatically make someone a self-learner.

Are there any drawbacks to being a self-learner?

Self-learning can have many benefits, but it also has its challenges. Some potential drawbacks include a lack of structure and guidance, difficulty staying motivated, and limited access to resources and feedback.

How can someone develop self-learning skills?

Self-learning is a skill that can be developed and improved upon. Some ways to develop self-learning skills include setting specific goals, practicing self-discipline, seeking out diverse sources of information, and reflecting on one's learning process.