Deflection of tapered beam cantilever

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with deflection calculations for a beam of varying cross-section. They have provided a sketch and are wondering if it is possible to derive an equation for deflection or if FEA is necessary. Another speaker suggests deriving the deflection equation from the equation E*I*d2y/dx2 = -M, and verifying the result with FEA or using empirical formulas from Roark. The original speaker thanks them and agrees to post back their equation if successful.
SJB
Hi and thank you for taking a look at my problem..

I'm very familiar with doing deflection calculations for beams of constant cross-section but I find myself needing to now do calculations on a beam of varying cross-section and I'm completely lost.

It's a relatively simple case in that the beam is a round/tubular, constant/symmetrical taper. It's supported in cantilever at the large end and the load is a single point load at the tip. I've attached a simple sketch if it helps.

As a starting point, is it even possible to derive an equation for the deflection of the beam or can this only be calculated by FEA? (excuse my ignorance!)

If anyone can offer any help/pointers/equations I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Simon

Attachments

• Cantilever tapered beam.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 3,386
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is certainly possible to derive eq'n of delection.

You will need to derive the deflection equation for you case, from equation:
E*I*d2y/dx2 = -M,where I is varying with position of section, and will be a function of x.
Therfore

E*d2y/dx2 = -M/Ix, and integrate this equation twice.

you will need to do this carefully and in the end you will get a big,scary expression of deflection.

You can definitely varify your result with FEA.

Take a look at Roark also for some empirical formula,depending upon ratio of both end area of inertias.

Hello Piygar,

Thank you for your reply, I'll give this a go and if successful will post back the equation in case it is useful to others.

Thanks

Simon

SJB: The cantilever tip deflection would be as follows, with x = 0 at the fixed support.

[tex]y_{\,\mathrm{max}}=\frac{1}{E}\int_{0}^{L}
\int_{0}^{x}\frac{M(x)}{I(x)}\,dx\ dx[/tex]

1. What is a tapered beam cantilever?

A tapered beam cantilever is a structural element that is fixed at one end and free at the other, with a decreasing cross-sectional area along its length.

2. What causes deflection in a tapered beam cantilever?

Deflection in a tapered beam cantilever is caused by a combination of bending and shear forces acting on the beam, as well as the weight of the beam itself. As the cross-sectional area decreases along the length of the beam, it becomes weaker and more susceptible to deflection.

3. How is the deflection of a tapered beam cantilever calculated?

The deflection of a tapered beam cantilever can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, which takes into account the material properties, geometry, and applied loads on the beam. Alternatively, finite element analysis can be used to more accurately determine the deflection.

4. What factors can affect the deflection of a tapered beam cantilever?

The deflection of a tapered beam cantilever can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the cross-sectional shape and dimensions, the applied loads, and the support conditions at the fixed end of the beam.

5. How can the deflection of a tapered beam cantilever be minimized?

The deflection of a tapered beam cantilever can be minimized by selecting a material with high stiffness and strength, optimizing the cross-sectional shape and dimensions to distribute the load more evenly, and providing additional support at the free end of the beam.