Misused Physics in Advertisements

• Thread starter jgbradley1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, an advertisement that uses the physics terminology correctly can be used, but an advertisement that misuses the terminology should be used instead because it is more visually appealing and will show the student's understanding of the physics concepts.
jgbradley1

Homework Statement

Ok, I have an assignment in which I'm supposed to look around the internet and check out different reliable news sources (CNN, NPR, Time Magazine, Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, etc). My assignment is to try and find an advertisement that misuses a physics concept/terminology. I am allowed to use an advertisement that used the physics concept/terminology correctly, but I think it looks better to find a "bad" advertisement. Anyway, I found this article and was going to write my paper up on this, explaining the physics behind everything, but I'm not sure if it will be counted for the assignment. The following is the exact wording of the assignment:

"You will be looking for examples of physics used in advertisements in everyday literature such as a magazine and newspapers. You must submit a Xerox copy or an original copy of the advertisement and an evaluation of the physics used in the advertisement. In particular, was the physics terminology used correctly? Why or why not? Justify your answers with an explanation."

The article I chose to use is located here:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/03/01/8370588/index.htm

My only problem is whether or not this article could be counted for this assignment? I know the goal behind the concept is basically to find some "public-knowledge" literature like the stuff CNN produces which uses physics terminology/ concepts in their explanations and this is why I chose this article. I was wondering what your opinion would be on this matter and if you think I need to find an official "advertisement," then where would be a good place to start? Thanks for any help/ links!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must use an advertisement rather than an article.

Also, shouldn't you ask your teacher instead of some random guys on the Internet?

Well, his teacher already said "advertisement"!

Well, it's pretty late in my time zone and I just want to get the assignment done tonight. I found another article on Time Magazine where I'm pretty sure the author used the terms velocity and speed interchangeably without thinking much about their actual meaning. It's located at

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,931189,00.html

Also, on the rubric, the teacher suggests using websites like CNN, Time, and Sports Illustrated. These sites are more populated with articles rather than advertisements, so I'm thinking there was a bad choice of wording in the rubric, when he was trying to type it up in a clear manner so that it would convey the main goal of the project. Has anyone seen any advertisements lately that have misused any terminology by any chance? I've been looking all day, but there's really no way to just google for "advertisements" and find what you want lol.

1. How is physics often misused in advertisements?

Physics is often misused in advertisements by making exaggerated or false claims about products or using scientific jargon to make a product seem more legitimate. Advertisers may also use manipulated or biased data to support their claims.

2. What are some examples of misused physics in advertisements?

Some examples of misused physics in advertisements include claiming that a product can defy the laws of gravity, using scientific terms to describe the effectiveness of a product without any scientific evidence, or using misleading visuals to make a product appear more scientifically advanced.

3. How does misused physics in advertisements affect consumers?

Misused physics in advertisements can lead to false expectations and disappointment for consumers. It can also create confusion and mistrust in scientific claims, making it difficult for consumers to make informed decisions about products.

4. How can consumers spot misused physics in advertisements?

Consumers can spot misused physics in advertisements by questioning the validity of claims and doing their own research on the product and its scientific backing. They can also look for any disclaimers or fine print that may reveal the exaggeration or manipulation of scientific information.

5. What can be done to prevent the misuse of physics in advertisements?

To prevent the misuse of physics in advertisements, stricter regulations and guidelines can be implemented to ensure that claims are backed by legitimate scientific evidence. Consumers can also raise awareness of this issue and demand more transparency and honesty in advertising.