Geometry & Topology REU Programs - Williams, Cornell, Tennessee, Indiana?

• Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Thread
In summary: The letters of recommendation are very important. They should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths and weaknesses in a way that is unbiased.
Has anyone heard anything from UC Santa Barbara and UNC Asheville?

Physics news on Phys.org
Still waiting to hear from UNC-Asheville and WPI...

UNC-A has now updated its REU webpage:

"At this time we have nearly completed our selection process. Students who will be taking part in the program this summer will be notified soon."

W_M069 said:
UNC-A has now updated its REU webpage:

"At this time we have nearly completed our selection process. Students who will be taking part in the program this summer will be notified soon."

Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder how "soon" they will notify those people. I also wonder if they will ever notify those who are not taking part in the program.

I know of people who have been accepted to UNC asheville...they found out a few weeks ago if I recall correctly

Got an offer from Mt Holyoke! :smile:
Anyone done this REU last year / knows anything about it?

lilli said:
Got an offer from Mt Holyoke! :smile:
Anyone done this REU last year / knows anything about it?

Which group did you get into? I had received an offer a few weeks ago and ended up choosing a different program as it more closely fit my personal research interests.

Everyone I had spoken to who did that program last summer all had very high recommendations, however they did make it clear that it was different adviser and topic. One of the main drawbacks to me, aside from the mathematics, to be completely honest, was the lack of a/c in the dormitories.

I got into the "Partition Regular Matrices from a Linear Algebraic Perspective" group.
Still waiting to hear back from a couple others (Pennstate, UNC Asheville, Clemson) but since it's gotten so late I'm pretty sure I'll get rejected from them.
Haha it is 8 weeks in Summer, so that is indeed a major drawback! :wink:

Is anyone going to NAU?

Got into Clemson (Computational Number Theory and combinatorics).
Anyone got any views on this REU? and perhaps how it would compare with Mount Holyoke?

Also, Pennstate haven't finished giving out offers apparently. The committee is still meeting to decide the fate of my application...

<h2>1. What is a Geometry & Topology REU Program?</h2><p>A Geometry & Topology REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Program is a summer research program for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in mathematics. These programs focus specifically on the fields of geometry and topology, which involve the study of shapes, spaces, and their properties.</p><h2>2. How do I apply for a Geometry & Topology REU Program?</h2><p>Each program will have its own application process, but generally, you will need to submit an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a writing sample or a statement of research interests. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.</p><h2>3. Who is eligible to participate in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?</h2><p>Most REU programs are designed for undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a degree program and have completed at least one year of coursework in mathematics. Some programs may also have specific GPA requirements. In addition, many programs are open to international students, but it is best to check with the individual program for their specific eligibility criteria.</p><h2>4. What can I expect to gain from participating in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?</h2><p>Participating in a REU program can provide valuable research experience and exposure to advanced topics in mathematics. It can also help you develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. Additionally, REU programs often provide opportunities for networking and building relationships with other students and faculty in the field.</p><h2>5. Are there any costs associated with participating in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?</h2><p>Most REU programs provide funding for participants, which typically covers housing, meals, and a stipend for the duration of the program. Some programs may also cover travel expenses. It is important to check with the individual program for specific details on funding and any potential costs that may need to be covered by the participant.</p>

1. What is a Geometry & Topology REU Program?

A Geometry & Topology REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) Program is a summer research program for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in mathematics. These programs focus specifically on the fields of geometry and topology, which involve the study of shapes, spaces, and their properties.

2. How do I apply for a Geometry & Topology REU Program?

Each program will have its own application process, but generally, you will need to submit an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a writing sample or a statement of research interests. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.

3. Who is eligible to participate in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?

Most REU programs are designed for undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a degree program and have completed at least one year of coursework in mathematics. Some programs may also have specific GPA requirements. In addition, many programs are open to international students, but it is best to check with the individual program for their specific eligibility criteria.

4. What can I expect to gain from participating in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?

Participating in a REU program can provide valuable research experience and exposure to advanced topics in mathematics. It can also help you develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. Additionally, REU programs often provide opportunities for networking and building relationships with other students and faculty in the field.

5. Are there any costs associated with participating in a Geometry & Topology REU Program?

Most REU programs provide funding for participants, which typically covers housing, meals, and a stipend for the duration of the program. Some programs may also cover travel expenses. It is important to check with the individual program for specific details on funding and any potential costs that may need to be covered by the participant.