Do Electrical Engineers Use Quantum Physics?

In summary, engineering and physics are closely intertwined and electrical engineering is a good field for those interested in both tinkering with electrical devices and quantum physics. While a bachelor's degree in physics may not lead to as many job opportunities, it can still provide a good salary and can be a stepping stone to graduate studies. Both engineering and physics programs can lead to interesting careers in electrical research, with electrical engineering being more focused on quantum mechanics. Pursuing a graduate degree, such as a PhD, is often necessary for research positions.
Ilyo
From my understanding, engineering and physics are closely knit together. So I figured I would go into Electrical engineering because my love of tinkering with electrical devices, though I also have found my self beginning to like the looks of quantum physics. Now I know all physicists are very diverse in all types of physics and quantum physics have a large role in things. But I am wondering if electrical engineers would be using quantum physics as well?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you're the next Feynman or Einstein, think again before going into physics. There is not much you can do with an undergraduate degree in physics, you would have to aim for Phd. degree.

What you can do is complete an engineering undergraduate degree and then you could apply to graduate school and give your shot for doctorate.

CheckMate said:
Unless you're the next Feynman or Einstein, think again before going into physics. There is not much you can do with an undergraduate degree in physics, you would have to aim for Phd. degree.

What you can do is complete an engineering undergraduate degree and then you could apply to graduate school and give your shot for doctorate.

I don't agree with your first statement, at all.

Yes, you probably won't be the next "nobel prize super researcher" with a bachelors, but you can easily make what an engineer makes just with the bs in physics. Poke around google searching for annual salaries for people with bachelors only, you might be surprised.

Not that this has anything to do with the threadstarters question.

It is not really about money at all, honestly I could care less about money. All I want is the knowledge needed to build and research electrical devices and electricity itself. All money would do for me is basic living and expanding my research so I am sure either of the degrees salary will be satisfactory since I aspire to get my phd Just not sure which of the two fields will open my doors to interesting careers in electrical research (engineering major vs physics major) I have found college programs for both in an undergrad degree which would continue onto my graduate degrees. So I ask again which would be the best for innovative research?

Engineering is essentially applied physics. Electrical engineering, especially if one becomes involved with micro-electronics, is more attuned to quantum mechanics/physics than say civil or mechanical engineering.

See IEEE's Journal of Quantum Electronics
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?punumber=3

Refer to this for different divisions in IEEE - http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/index.html

Of interest might be IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS)
http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/ED015.html

IEEE Photonics Society (formerly LEOS)
http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/pho036.html

IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society (SSCS)
http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/SSC037.html

Career and Employment Resources
http://www.ieee.org/web/careers/home/index.html

One can look at Physics or Engineering Physics programs in parallel with EE.

To do research, particularly leadership role or with more autonomy, one usually needs an MS or PhD/DSc.

Thank you, that was very helpful and I appreciate all the links

What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific principles and mathematical methods to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. In simpler terms, engineering is the practical application of physics principles.

Do engineers and physicists work together?

Yes, engineers and physicists often work together on projects that require both theoretical understanding and practical application. For example, engineers may use the principles of physics to design a new technology or device, while physicists may collaborate with engineers to test and improve their theories through experiments.

Is engineering more practical and physics more theoretical?

Generally, engineering is considered more practical and hands-on, while physics is more theoretical and involves a lot of mathematical calculations. However, both fields require a combination of practical and theoretical knowledge to be successful.

Can someone be both an engineer and a physicist?

Yes, there are individuals who have degrees and experience in both engineering and physics. These individuals often work in research and development positions or may pursue advanced degrees in interdisciplinary fields such as engineering physics.

Which field is better for someone interested in problem-solving?

Both engineering and physics involve a lot of problem-solving. However, engineers tend to focus on practical problems related to designing and building structures, systems, and devices, while physicists may focus on solving theoretical problems related to understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.