Derivation of Deflection from Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a formula for deflection w(x) from the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation for a cantilever beam with a point load at the unsupported end. The conversation discusses boundary conditions and methods for solving for the constant in the formula. The final formula for deflection is given as:w(x) = -Px^2/2(3L-x)
bill nye scienceguy!

Homework Statement

I want to derive a formula for deflection w(x) from the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation. It's essentially only four integrations but I'm not sure about my boundary conditions, particularly wrt shear. The beam is a cantilever with a point load at the unsupported end.

And apologies in advance for the clumsy latex...

Homework Equations

P = load

w = deflection = 0 when x =0

[tex]\frac{dw}{dx}[/tex]= slope = 0 when x =0

EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}w}{dx^{2}}[/tex] = bending moment = 0 when x = L

-EI[tex]\frac{d^{3}w}{dx^{}3}[/tex] = shear force = 0 when?

I guess my question is: what boundary condition do I need to get rid of the C[tex]_{1}[/tex] after the first integration and I suppose if this is the right way to go about this at all!

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've done so far:

EI[tex]\frac{d^{4}w}{dx^{4}}[/tex]=P

EIEI[tex]\frac{d^{3}w}{dx^{3}}[/tex]=Px + C[tex]_{1}[/tex]

I've left C[tex]_{1}[/tex] here and carried it through since I don't have a clue about the shear BC.

EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}w}{dx^{2}}[/tex]=P[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex] + C[tex]_{1}[/tex]x +C[tex]_{2}[/tex]

EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}w}{dx^{2}}[/tex] = bending moment = 0 when x = L, so

C[tex]_{2}[/tex]=-[tex]\frac{PL^{2}}{2}[/tex]-C[tex]_{1}[/tex]L

EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}w}{dx^{2}}[/tex]=P[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex] + C[tex]_{1}[/tex]x - [tex]\frac{PL^{2}}{2}[/tex]-C[tex]_{1}[/tex]L

EI[tex]\frac{dw}{dx}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Px^{3}}{6}[/tex]+C[tex]_{1}[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex]-[[tex]\frac{PL^{2}}{2}[/tex]-C[tex]_{1}[/tex]L]x + C[tex]_{3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw}{dx}[/tex] = 0 when x = 0 so C[tex]_{3}[/tex]=0

and finally

EIw=[tex]\frac{Px^{4}}{24}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{C_{1}x^{3}}{6}[/tex]-[[tex]\frac{PL^{2}}{2}[/tex]-C[tex]_{1}[/tex]L][tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex] + C[tex]_{4}[/tex]

w=0 when x=0 so C[tex]_{4}[/tex]=0

so:

EIw=[tex]\frac{Px^{4}}{24}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{C_{1}x^{3}}{6}[/tex]-[[tex]\frac{PL^{2}}{2}[/tex]-C[tex]_{1}[/tex]L][tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you set [itex]EI(d^4 w/dx^4)[/itex] equal to P? The units don't match up, for one. Isn't P a force? (Know what I'm getting at? :smile:)

Why has your first eqn got EI in it? What is your definition of shear force? That should tell you the constant you are looking for. It doesn't have to be zero.

I don't have a good text on beam theory to hand so this is all coming from a mixture of wikipedia and efunda. So from the statement on the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Bernoulli_beam_equation) that:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx}[/tex](EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex])=P

[where I've called deflection u and load P]

I was trying to get to the statement of deflection as a function of length, distance from supported end, load and constant EI from efunda (http://www.efunda.com/formulae/soli...e=cantilever_endload&search_string=cantilever)

w(x)=-[tex]\frac{Px^{2}}{6EI}[/tex][tex]\left(3L-x\right)[/tex]

I've looked at the units in the first statement and I'm not sure what the function

[tex]\frac{d^{4}u}{dx^{4}}[/tex]

actually is? Apart from being the fourth derivative of displacement, but what is it physically?

bill nye scienceguy! said:
So from the statement on the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Bernoulli_beam_equation) that:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx}[/tex](EI[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex])=P

[where I've called deflection u and load P]

Where are you seeing that equation on that page?

I see

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^2}\left(EI\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}\right)=w(x)[/tex]

for a distributed load and

[tex]-\frac{d}{dx}\left(EI\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}\right)=F\,(\mathrm{or~}P)[/tex]

for a point load.

Last edited:
Mapes said:
Where are you seeing that equation on that page?

I see

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^2}\left(EI\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}\right)=w(x)[/tex]

for a distributed load and

[tex]-\frac{d}{dx}\left(EI\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}\right)=F\,(\mathrm{or~}P)[/tex]

for a point load.

I totally missed that, that makes things a lot easier. So now:

1st integration

-EI([tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex])=Px +C1

[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex]=0 when x=L so C1=-PL

2nd integration

-EI[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Px^{2}}{2}[/tex]-PLx+C2

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]=0 when x=0 so C2=0

3rd integration

-EIu=[tex]\frac{Px^{3}}{6}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{PLx^{2}}{2}[/tex]+C3

u=0 when x=0 so C3=0

which leaves me with:

-EIu=[tex]\frac{Px^{3}}{6}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{PLx^{2}}{2}[/tex]

u=[tex]\frac{-Px^{2}}{2}[/tex](L-[tex]\frac{x}{3}[/tex])

multiplying through by 3 gives me

3u=[tex]\frac{-3Px^{2}}{2}[/tex](3L-x)

and then

u=[tex]\frac{-Px^{2}}{2}[/tex](3L-x)

which still isn't quite right. Can you spot where I've gone wrong in the maths?

For your first integration, how do you get Px for the moment at x? Is x measured from the support or from the point load?

You multiplied the right side by 3 twice.

pongo38 said:
For your first integration, how do you get Px for the moment at x? Is x measured from the support or from the point load?

I'm measuring x from the support and Mapes, of course you're right. Thanks very much for your help!

1. What is the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation?

The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation is a mathematical model used to calculate the deflection of a beam under a given load. It takes into account the beam's material properties, geometry, and applied load to determine the amount of deflection at any point along the beam.

2. How is the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation derived?

The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation is derived from the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which is based on the assumptions of small deflections and linear elastic material behavior. The equation is derived using principles of statics and calculus to solve for the deflection of a beam under a given load.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the derivation of the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation?

The key assumptions made in the derivation of the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation include: 1) the beam is loaded in the plane of its weakest dimension, 2) the beam has a constant cross-sectional area, 3) the material is linear elastic, and 4) the deflections are small compared to the length of the beam.

4. What are the limitations of the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation?

The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation is a simplified model and has some limitations. It does not take into account shear deformation and the effects of lateral loading. It also assumes a constant cross-sectional area, which may not be the case for all beams. Additionally, it is only accurate for small deflections and linear elastic materials.

5. How is the Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation applied in real-world engineering problems?

The Euler-Bernoulli Beam Equation is commonly used in structural engineering to calculate the deflection of beams under various loads. It allows engineers to design beams that can withstand expected loads and minimize deflections. The equation is also used in the analysis of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure their safety and stability.