Lab Final - finding molar mass of an unknown gas

In summary: If you are dealing with a large balloon, you could fill a graduated cylinder with water, place the balloon in the water, and then release the gas into the cylinder. Once the balloon has been filled with gas, you can then measure its volume by taking the height of the balloon and multiplying it by the width of the cylinder. However, you should take into account the fact that the balloon may be inflated with gas and therefore have a different mass than if the balloon was empty.
Unlisted

Homework Statement

Its the end of the year in my AP chemistry class and one section of our lab final includes finding the molar mass of an unknown gas. we are given a balloon filled with the gas and we must conduct any tests to figure the molar mass out

Homework Equations

pv=nrt
i believe the equation relating density and molecular weight is MW=drt/p
d=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

heres what I've thought of
measure the weight of the filled balloon (our scales go up to 2 or 3 decimals)
fill a graduated cylinder with water, flip it upside down in a bucket of water and release the gas into the graduated cylinder to get the volume
then dry the balloon and get the weight again
use d=m/v to get the density and then use the above equation to calculate the MW

however i have some problems with this strategy
will the presence of gas effect the mass of the balloon (noting the sig figs of the scale)
what temperature do i use for mw=drt/p, the temp of the water or room temp?

if you have a diff strategy or any suggestions PLEASE let me know

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unlisted said:

Homework Statement

Its the end of the year in my AP chemistry class and one section of our lab final includes finding the molar mass of an unknown gas. we are given a balloon filled with the gas and we must conduct any tests to figure the molar mass out

Homework Equations

pv=nrt
d=m/v

fill a graduated cylinder with water, flip it upside down in a bucket of water and release the gas into the graduated cylinder to get the volume
use d=m/v to get the density and then use the above equation to calculate the MW

will the presence of gas effect the mass of the balloon (noting the sig figs of the scale)
The presence of the gas should not affect the mass of the balloon. However, your strategy to determine the mass of the gas will fail unless you consider an additional factor. Hint: think Archimedes!

Depending on how quickly you do the displacement measurement, it will have some value in between the two. You can minimize errors by letting the water equilibrate at room temperature.

Unlisted said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

pv=nrt
d=m/v

if you have a diff strategy or any suggestions PLEASE let me know

thanks!
I forsee some problems with trying to weigh a balloon filled with a gas or releasing the gas into a graduated cylinder filled with water. If it is a small balloon, you could dunk it into a beaker of water inside of another beaker to approximate the volume of water it displaces. If you are crafty enough, you can measure the mass of the gas by evacuating a container, then releasing the contents of the gas into this, although this would be tough without the proper equipment.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the molar mass of an unknown gas in a lab final?

The molar mass of a gas is an important physical property that helps to identify the gas and its behavior. It is also necessary for various calculations, such as determining the density of the gas and its partial pressure.

2. How is the molar mass of an unknown gas determined in a lab final?

The molar mass of an unknown gas is determined by using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) and manipulating it to solve for the molar mass. This involves measuring the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas and using these values in the equation.

3. What equipment is needed to find the molar mass of an unknown gas in a lab final?

The equipment needed includes a gas syringe or burette to measure the volume of the gas, a thermometer to measure the temperature, and a pressure gauge to measure the pressure of the gas. Other materials such as a clamp stand, rubber tubing, and a gas source may also be required.

4. What are some possible sources of error when finding the molar mass of an unknown gas in a lab final?

Some possible sources of error include inaccurate measurements of temperature, pressure, or volume, leaks in the apparatus, and impurities in the gas sample. It is important to take multiple readings and calculate an average to reduce the impact of these errors.

5. How can the molar mass of an unknown gas be useful in real-world applications?

The molar mass of a gas is useful in various industries, such as in the production of fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, and other chemicals. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases in different environments, such as in the Earth's atmosphere or in industrial processes.