Understanding Velocity and Vector Calculus for Moving Objects

In summary, the conversation is about an object's movement described by a position vector. The question is asked about the velocity at t=1 and the relationship between the velocity and position. It is concluded that the velocity at t=1 is 2i-j+4k and that there is no reason for it not to be the object's velocity.
Engels

Homework Statement

An object moves according to this : r(t)= (1+t^2)i + (1-t)j + (t+t^3)k

How fast does it moves far from O(0,0) for t=1?

Is this velocity the same with the object's velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand the second part

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't seem to understand the second part either.

By the first one, do you mean, what its velocity is at t = 1, or what its position is? What is the relation between the two?

i mean the velocity for t=1 which is r'(1)= 2i-j+4k
The r(t) in my previous post is the position vector from the start (0,0)

is the any reason for not the r'(t) or r'(1) to be the objects velocity?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, they are actually different concepts. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

3. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields. It is used to study objects that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity and force.

4. How is vector calculus used in physics?

Vector calculus is used extensively in physics to study the motion and forces of objects. It is used to calculate quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and momentum, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

5. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are both vector quantities that describe the motion of an object. However, while velocity measures the rate of change of an object's position, acceleration measures the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity over time.