Square with edges, cube with faces identified.

In summary, the method of randomly giving each edge a direction and identifying opposite edges results in a two-dimensional compact manifold without boundary. There are eight different edge orientation assignments, but the result can be simplified using the classification theorem for surfaces without boundary. For a cube, the classification is still unknown, as it is for any three-dimensional compact manifold without boundary.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say I randomly give each edge of a square a direction and then I identify opposite edges, do I always come up with a two-dimensional compact manifold without boundary? Seems there are eight different edge orientation assignments, many being equivalent? How many different spaces?

Can I do the same with a cube? Give each edge of a cube a random orientation and identify opposing faces? Will we always be able to identify opposite faces with random edge orientation assignments? Can we say anything about such spaces, are any three-dimensional compact manifolds without boundary ?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Say I randomly give each edge of a square a direction and then I identify opposite edges, do I always come up with a two-dimensional compact manifold without boundary? Seems there are eight different edge orientation assignments, many being equivalent? How many different spaces?

Assuming your method of gluing does not allow corners, and that you always glue all pairs of edges, yes. The result can be simplified by referring to the classification theorem for surfaces without boundary. Since you are only using one square, the result is either a sphere, a torus, a projective plane, or the connected sum of 2 projective planes (the Klein bottle), up to homeomorphism.

Can I do the same with a cube? Give each edge of a cube a random orientation and identify opposing faces? Will we always be able to identify opposite faces with random edge orientation assignments? Can we say anything about such spaces, are any three-dimensional compact manifolds without boundary ?

Thanks for any help!

Classification of these objects is still open. See http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/Papers/3Msurvey.pdf .

1. What is a square with edges and a cube with faces identified?

A square with edges and a cube with faces identified are two different mathematical shapes. A square with edges refers to a two-dimensional shape with four equal sides and four right angles. A cube with faces identified is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, each identified and labeled with a letter or number.

2. How is a square with edges different from a cube with faces identified?

A square with edges is a two-dimensional shape, while a cube with faces identified is a three-dimensional shape. Additionally, a square with edges has four sides and four corners, while a cube with faces identified has six sides, eight corners, and twelve edges.

3. What are the properties of a square with edges and a cube with faces identified?

A square with edges has properties such as four equal sides, four right angles, and two diagonals that are equal in length. A cube with faces identified has properties such as six square faces, eight corners, and twelve edges of equal length.

4. How can a square with edges and a cube with faces identified be used in real life?

A square with edges can be found in various structures, such as buildings, tiles, and furniture. A cube with faces identified can also be found in buildings and furniture, but it is most commonly used in mathematics and geometry studies.

5. Can a square with edges and a cube with faces identified be transformed into other shapes?

A square with edges can be transformed into other shapes, such as a rectangle or a rhombus, by changing the length of its sides. A cube with faces identified can also be transformed into other three-dimensional shapes, such as a rectangular prism or a triangular prism, by changing the length of its edges.