Calculation of tank height based on flow rate

In summary, you would need a tank that is at least 1000 mm tall and 525 mL/min in flow rate to keep the water level constant when the orifice diameter is 4.3 mm.
csrkrishna
hi physics forum
i am having a issue related to a tank size based on the flow rate and the diameter of the orifice. the dimensions would be

the total height of the setup should be 1000mm
the flow rate should be 525+/- 25ml/min
the Internal diameter of the orifice is 4.3mm
what would be the probable dimensions of the tank for maintaining the water level.

Physics news on Phys.org
csrkrishna said:
hi physics forum
i am having a issue related to a tank size based on the flow rate and the diameter of the orifice. the dimensions would be

what would be the probable dimensions of the tank for maintaining the water level.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. What are you trying to achieve?

If the flow rate out of the tank is 525 mL/min then the flow rate into the tank must be 525 mL/min in order to keep the water level constant. The dimensions and flow rate are already set by you in your problem statement (i.e. 1000-mm height).

The height of the fluid column (in part) is what determines the flow rate out of a tank that is open to the atmosphere. The other dimensions of the tank generally do not matter unless the tank has a really small surface area compared to the orifice diameter.

CS

csrkrishna said:
hi physics forum

What is the context of your question? Are you actually building this system, or is it a question for a school project/assignment?

I am a head of engineering in a leading medical devices company.
we are designing a system in which our medical device will be continuously under water flow.
so the flow rate is given the orifice diameter is given
now i want what would be the tank height

csrkrishna said:
I am a head of engineering in a leading medical devices company.
we are designing a system in which our medical device will be continuously under water flow.
so the flow rate is given the orifice diameter is given
now i want what would be the tank height

Head of engineering...really?

This is a basic fluid mechanics problem. Use Bernoulli's equation and solve for the fluid level height.

This link should help: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bernouilli-equation-d_183.html

CS

1. How do you calculate the required tank height for a given flow rate?

To calculate the required tank height, you will need to use the following equation: tank height = flow rate / cross-sectional area. The flow rate can be measured in liters per minute, gallons per hour, or any other unit of volume per unit of time. The cross-sectional area is the area of the tank's base, which is typically measured in square meters or square feet.

2. What factors impact the calculation of tank height based on flow rate?

The main factors that affect the calculation of tank height based on flow rate are the desired flow rate, the size and shape of the tank, and the properties of the fluid being stored. Other factors that may need to be considered include the type of inlet and outlet, the tank's location and surroundings, and any regulatory requirements.

3. How accurate is the calculation of tank height based on flow rate?

The accuracy of the calculation will depend on the accuracy of the measurements and assumptions used in the equation. It is important to ensure that the flow rate and tank dimensions are measured accurately to get a precise result. Additionally, any assumptions made about the fluid properties should be based on reliable data.

4. Can the calculation of tank height based on flow rate be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, the calculation can be used for any type of fluid as long as the flow rate and tank dimensions are measured in the same units. However, the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, may affect the accuracy of the calculation, so it is important to use accurate data for these variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the calculation of tank height based on flow rate?

There are a few limitations to keep in mind when using this calculation. It assumes a constant flow rate and a uniform cross-sectional area of the tank. If these conditions are not met, the calculated tank height may not be accurate. Additionally, the calculation does not take into account any external factors, such as changes in temperature or pressure, which may affect the flow rate and tank height. In these cases, it is best to consult a professional engineer for a more accurate calculation.