Circuits - Power absorbed / supplied

In summary: This can be represented by the equation Vx * 4x = W. In the second scenario, the dependent source is supplying power and Vx is absorbing it, which can be represented by the equation 4Vx * 16 = W. In summary, the concept of absorbed/supplied power refers to the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit, where supplied power means opposite signs and absorbed power means the same sign.
J.live

Homework Statement

I need to solve the circuit. I have trouble comprehending absorbed/supplied power concept.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if power is being supplied by Vx then the current is passing out of the negative terminal towards the dependent source 4x and the element A?

Vx * 4x= W?

Second senario. The power is supplied by the dependent source 4x so again the current is passing out of negative terminal and being delivered to element A and source Vx?

4Vx * 16= W?

Here is the Circuit:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-10 at 4.34.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-10 at 4.34.58 PM.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
J.live said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve the circuit. I have trouble comprehending absorbed/supplied power concept.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if power is being supplied by Vx then the current is passing out of the negative terminal towards the dependent source 4x and the element A?

Vx * 4x= W?

Second senario. The power is supplied by the dependent source 4x so again the current is passing out of negative terminal and being delivered to element A and source Vx?

4Vx * 16= W?

Here is the Circuit:

Supplied power means that voltage and current have opposite signs. Absorbed (or dissipated) power means that voltage and current have the same sign.
In your case, both Vx and the dependent source are supplying power, which is absorbed by or dissipated at element A.

1. What is the difference between power absorbed and power supplied in a circuit?

Power absorbed in a circuit refers to the amount of energy that is consumed by the components in the circuit. On the other hand, power supplied refers to the amount of energy that is provided by the power source to the circuit.

2. How is power absorbed or supplied calculated in a circuit?

Power absorbed or supplied in a circuit can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where R is the resistance in ohms.

3. What happens to power absorbed in a circuit if the resistance is increased?

If the resistance in a circuit is increased, the power absorbed will also increase. This is because an increase in resistance causes a decrease in current, and according to the formula P = I^2R, as current decreases, power absorbed increases.

4. How does the type of circuit affect power absorbed or supplied?

The type of circuit, whether it is a series or parallel circuit, can affect power absorbed or supplied. In a series circuit, the power absorbed by each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the power absorbed by each component is different. However, the total power supplied by the power source remains the same in both types of circuits.

5. Can power absorbed or supplied be negative in a circuit?

Yes, power absorbed or supplied can be negative in a circuit. This happens when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of voltage. In this case, the power absorbed or supplied is considered to be negative as the component is releasing energy back into the circuit instead of consuming it.